What constitutes an “Excel Power User”?

Lewiy

So, let’s say I’m going for a new job. I need to update my CV/Resume, I need to explain to my prospective employer just how much I know about Excel.

Now, everyone puts down “yeah, I’m a high-level user of all Microsoft products, etc, etc...” even if they’re not, so that’s not good enough. But would I be justified in using the term “power user”?

Is there actually an official definition for this term or is it just a phrase that’s cropped up in the Excel community to make us all feel superior??!!!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
well, the job I applied for and got they were looking for excel "superstars"

and I had no idea what they wanted. During the phone part of the interview they asked me if I've ever used the following: Vlookup, named ranges, ABS, charts/tables.. lol.. i was like wtf. Anyway I ended up getting a physical interview and they stopped with the excel questions. That turned into a 2nd interview and eventually me getting the job. During the interview I had some sample projects with screen shots of all the VBA work I did at my last job. Turns out the job doesn't even use VBA that much if at all. A lot of SQL and embedding though.

Honestly I think poweruser will draw some nice attention. I wouldn't/couldn't use it but you could pull it off. It would also force the interviewer to question it which can lead to a more in depth discussion of it.

For the most part companies are probably looking for Proficient in Excel.. or intermediate to advanced. Advanced Excel Skills. etc.

Aaron comment on an Excel Expert:

Most likely, a disturbed individual who spends too much time thinking about spreadsheets. :-)

made me laugh out loud and woke up my cubicle mate!

I don't think I am yet in that illustrious category, but I have been know to dream about cells...! :lol:

Hm, mostly intermediate for me, though I do use Offset a bit, and use some obscure formulas in creative (IMO) ways, but I've never written or recorded macros.

What about people who have dreams which include excel?
:/

Thanx for referencing that Lenze. I would have pointed it out out if you hadn't. Aaron pretty much nails it, though to be honest Lewiy, the people reading your resume would not have clue what the breakdown is. The trick is to impress the HR people enough to get to a Techie... someone in IT might have a clue. Though, to be honest, if a company has a person that understands the nuances of Excel expertise, they don't need a second. The trick is to impress the people who do NOT have a clue. And I've seen enough of your posts around that you can justify the term "Power User" or "Excel Expert", and either are impressive enough to get noticed. Here is the excerpt from my last Resume:

COMPUTER EXPERIENCE:

Visual Manufacturing
Algor R12+
AutoCad 2002
Ideas Master Series
Pro-Engineer
ANSI-C
Visual Studio 6.0
Maple V
MS Office Suite (Excel Expert)
VBA for MS Office
MS Access

It got noticed... several of the engineering managers who interviewed me simply said "It would be nice to have someone who REALLY knows how to do stuff with Excel". They didn't know what questions to ask, but they recognized that I might be an asset...

Point them to your contributions here - one of the top excel forums on the planet - and to this thread where people who should know have confirmed that you are indeed a 'power user' / at least 'advanced' on Aaron's scale.

Personally, some simple language will say it all:

"I can perform sinlge and multi conditional counting and summing; advanced lookups using VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, as well as the more dynamic INDEX/MATCH combination; I know how to create dynamic ranges that adjust automatically for growing/shrinking data sets...etc..."

As well, be sure to mention that you know how to create and manipulate dynamic pivot tables (dynamic in the sense of a 'dynamic range'.

Thanks guys, it’s nice to get some re-assurance!! That’s a really interesting user scale. Although it’s fairly basic in it’s explanations, I’ve never seen user ability broken down like that for Excel before so one becomes blissfully unaware just how far up the scale one might be.

Before joining the board back in January this year, I was certainly in the low end of the “Intermediate” category so all credit goes to the community for my continuing development!!

Thanks again :) :) :)

Aaron comment on an Excel Expert:

Most likely, a disturbed individual who spends too much time thinking about spreadsheets. :-)

I read this to my wife last night, after I posted, and she looked long and hard at me, and said "I don't know anyone who fits that category." I mean, really, is it abnormal when your wife asks you to build an Excel Spreadsheet to lay out Quilting Designs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back