Weird Filter Behavior

DougStroud

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I am getting a weird result when applying a data filter. Initially the data filter was working correctly. But after inserting some additional data in the middle of the original data set the filter is now only looking/sorting down to row 18. I have tried manually correcting the range that I found under the Advanced button but it reverts back to this range: $A$2:$Q$18. My data currently extends down to Q250.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi,
Try the following, it may help.
Concert the data of the table to range, remove filter ctrl+shift+L, select the whole range and format it to table.
Let me know if that helps. If not, I recommend you upload a co o y of the file to ex. dropbox to have a look what the problem you have.
Regards,
Sebastian

Upvote 0
Hi Sebastian,
Thank you! That worked... It is a bit laborious b/c I will have to insert ongoing data in the middle of the existing data, but I am grateful for the work-around :)

Thank you,

Doug

Upvote 0
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. When you have the whole range of data, all the columns and rows within your range, formatted as an excel table ex a1:c100, every time you place new data in from row right below that table on (row 101 on) in columns A-C excel will add formatting to the entered data as well as the filters of the table will have theylir range automatically adjusted to rows 1-101. The problem that you describe i.a. occurs for ex. when you for incidents copy data from another table and pase it right below the main table with source formatting. Then excel does not adjust the filters range enlarging it by the rows with data you just copied because it considers it as two tables put together. The work around I mentioned is to fix this problem. Pls note when you paste rows with data to the existing excel table use paste special to paste values only.
Anyway, I'm happy to help :)

Regards,
Sebastian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back