Weeknum with text before

UndwaterExcelWeaver

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to do a simple formula to add the word "Week" before the weeknum function but I am getting a #Value error for some reason. I am following the instructions exactly that I read on this so I'm not sure what the issue is. I achieved my goal visually by changing the number format to include the word "week" but that does not function correctly when matching that cell to that in another workbook, presumedly because it is really only seeing the week number and not the text that I added. Instead, here is the formula I'm using, where cell D1 contains the date:

=CONCATENATE("Week ",WEEKNUM(D1)+1)

The label "week ##" is in another sheet and I'm using that text as a reference point to pull in the correct data into this sheet, so I need the two sheets to have identical text while also updating automatically based on the date.

Thanks

EDIT: I have also tried the simpler ="Week " &weeknum(D1)+1. This does not work either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
That seems to suggest to me that the value in D1 is not a validly entered date, but text instead.

Upvote 0
That seems to suggest to me that the value in D1 is not a validly entered date, but text instead.
1721226165618.png

The date I actually need is in F1 I guess, but the problem remains. All are formatted correctly as dates.

Upvote 0
Just because the cell is formatted as date does not mean that the entry is a valid date entry. Dates entered as text won't work properly. And changing the format of the cell does not change the underlying value.

Enter this formula in any blank cell and tell us what it returns:
Excel Formula:
=ISNUMBER(F1)

Upvote 0
It is hard to tell if F11 is really a number formatted as a date.
try:
Book1
EFG
112024-07-12Week 28
122024-07-12F12 Is Not A Number
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G11:G12G11=IF(ISNUMBER(F11),"Week " & WEEKNUM(F11),ADDRESS(ROW(F11),COLUMN(F11),4)&" Is Not A Number")
F12F12="2024-07-12"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just because the cell is formatted as date does not mean that the entry is a valid date entry. Dates entered as text won't work properly. And changing the format of the cell does not change the underlying value.

Enter this formula in any blank cell and tell us what it returns:
Excel Formula:
=ISNUMBER(F1)
1. If it was a date issue, wouldn't the Weeknum function not work at all? It works fine until I try to add "week" before it.

Upvote 0
Can you share your data with XL2BB? Or upload the file and share the link?

Upvote 0
1. If it was a date issue, wouldn't the Weeknum function not work at all? It works fine until I try to add "week" before it.
1?

That doesn't make much sense. It should return TRUE or FALSE.
If you have any special formatting being applied to the cell you placed that formula in, can you set it back to "General", and tell me whether it returns TRUE or FALSE?

Upvote 0
1?

That doesn't make much sense. It should return TRUE or FALSE.
If you have any special formatting being applied to the cell you placed that formula in, can you set it back to "General", and tell me whether it returns TRUE or FALSE?
1721226962367.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back