Ways to get over maximum one-to-many relationships for an Access table?

reliza123

I have a Project table that needs to have (let’s say) 40 foreign keys because we are tracking a lot of the same stuff for our projects. Is there a way to get around the 32 one – to – many max? I found that max from: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ications-1e521481-7f9a-46f7-8ed9-ea9dff1fa854

Also, I can’t even use that max, for some reason, Access gives me errors after 21 one to many relationships to the project table.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I'd say there's no way your db is normalized if you have 40 primary keys in one table. Some say if you need more than one, create a composite index instead. I've seen many tables with up to four, but never more than that. I could be wrong about your situation, but if not, do yourself a favor and normalize the data.

Upvote 0
I'd say there's no way your db is normalized if you have 40 primary keys in one table. Some say if you need more than one, create a composite index instead. I've seen many tables with up to four, but never more than that. I could be wrong about your situation, but if not, do yourself a favor and normalize the data.

@Micron did you meant to say, "40 foreign keys !!??"

Upvote 0
Yikes! Sorry, I read it as 40 primary. I don't believe the 32 you refer to is the number of relationships you can create in relationship design if that's what you're thinking. Since it refers to a query, I believe it is the number of joins you can make between two tables in query design, minus the indexes (not relationships or primary/foreign keys) in the underlying tables being joined. So at this point, I'm not sure if you are trying to make a total of 40 relationship joins in relationship design view, 40 joins in a query, or 40 joins between two tables in relationship design. However, I still suspect you have room for improvement in normalization. I've never seen that many in any of those aspects and I've been working in Access since 2.0 - not that I'm an expert who's seen everything. There are many Access experts out there to whom I bow in reverence!

Upvote 0
@Micron. I have about 21 relationships. 27 tables. and right now I am trying a Data macro and child tables to be able to have all these 21 one-to-many relationships work! I will update you if anything else comes up ! :) Thank You!

Upvote 0
I would question the structure too. There is a good chance that it may not be normalized.
Are any of these 27 tables similar in structure? If so, you need to question why there are multiple tables for those.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back