Way to move values based on another cell around like chess pieces

SM mechanic

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
So I don't know if this is even possible, or what to call it if it is. Maybe if someone could just direct me to what it might be called I can try and figure it out on my own. The task is to try to arrange technicians into teams based on their productions.

So I have a chart on a spreadsheet that tracks each tech's production. It has names in one column, next column is their daily production, next column multiplies daily production by 22 ( average work days in our month), next column is their weekly production, column next to that multiplies weekly by 4. Sometimes the daily x 22 is more realistic, sometimes weekly x 4 is more realistic depending on the way each tech works. So I calculate it each way.

I am looking for a way to be able to type in a techs name from column 1 and have the cell next to it automatically populate that techs average. I am trying to combine techs into teams based on each ones production so I can make each teams production match the needs I have for them. So I would like to be able to mix and match each tech and move them around to see how different combinations might produce.

For example I would like to type in Joe 45
Matt 51
Steve 54
Team total 150

But maybe I want a team that will average 155, so I take out Joe and type in Jeff, who averages 50, and the total changes to 155 and now I have my team.

So the inputs on the chart are dynamic, the daily and weekly number changes based on their production which I track daily, and I want to be able to type a techs name into another chart and have it fill in with their average pulled from the other chart.

I hope this makes sense

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Something like this maybe. Put a name in the orange cells and it will populate the other columns. I was unsure what average you meant when you said "automatically populate that techs average" so I provided all 3 (monthly based on days, monthly based on weeks and the average of those two).

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1NameDaily prod.Monthly by dayWeekly prodMonthly by weekNameMonthly by dayMonthly by weekAverage
2Joe51102496Mitch132154143
3Suzie613231124Joe110110110
4Mitch715433132Steve198198198
5Matt817639156   
6Steve919841164   
10Total440462451
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
J2J2=IF($I2="","",VLOOKUP($I2,$A$2:$E$6,5,FALSE))
K2:K9K2=IF($I2="","",VLOOKUP($I2,$A$2:$E$6,3,FALSE))
L2:L9L2=IFERROR(AVERAGE(J2:K2),"")
J3:J9J3=IF(I3="","",VLOOKUP(I3,$A$2:$E$6,3,FALSE))
J10:L10J10=SUM(J2:J9)
C2:C6C2=B2*22
E2:E6E2=D2*4

Upvote 1
Solution
This looks great, I need to figure out how to put it into a sheet on my computer to try it out, because I can't read the formulas to see how it works. I will work on this today.
Thank you for the help.

Upvote 0
Took me a little bit of time to figure out how to put this into my sheet and reference the calls where they are in my sheet. But that is solely my lack of computer savviness in the end I figured it out. And it works perfectly.

That is amazing that you could take my rambling and interpret it, then turn that into perfectly working formulas.

Thank you very much myall_blues !!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back