Warning & a word of CAUTION

Stormseed

Banned
Hello everyone :crash:

Lately, I downloaded the Excel Jeanie zip file from their own website just because I could not post screenshots of my data on our Board with the HTML Maker. Everytime I try, HTML Maker would blowup the webpage no matter which version of Excel. It never used to happen earlier and so I downloaded this Excel Jeanie thing on my computer.

While downloading, I had only this SOLE webpage open & nothing else. No other applications running, online or standalone. I installed Excel Jeanie as per the instructions in my Excel version 2007. When I created the webpage and the time it showed me the preview, my antivirus popped up with a message:

VIRUS DETECTED:

"Virus & Spy Protection has detected Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.aadp"

I am so shocked to see that a professional website like Excel Jeanie is loaded with Trojans too. I am posting this information because every second user on this Board is installing Excel Jeanie on his / her computer. Depends on you, how you take my post, it would not make a difference to me. I am sorry if I am harsh but it is indeed a fact.

Guys, if you have not invested in a good antivirus package, I would suggest you do it now. The threats are on the prowl each day and anyday could be the last day for the software stored on your computer.

Good Lord, thanks again to F-Secure !!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Storm - virus scanners are *not* perfect. They sometimes misinterpret legitimate things as viruses. For the longest time, there was a problem with HTML Maker - some virus scanners considered it a virus - and it wasn't.

Yes, it is possible that there is a trojan (sites do get jacked). But there is also the possibility that the scanner is mistaken.

Hi Tracy,

You are absolutely correct. You can probably make a difference to it by buying a *good* antivirus scanner. Potentially, the chances of this causing a *misinterpretation* by a good powerful product are very less and this is what I think !

However, it was my responsibility as a responsible person to spread the message of "Caution" and I did it for everyone's well being.

Hi Tracy,

You are absolutely correct. You can probably make a difference to it by buying a *good* antivirus scanner. Potentially, the chances of this causing a *misinterpretation* by a good powerful product are very less and this is what I think !

However, it was my responsibility as a responsible person to spread the message of "Caution" and I did it for everyone's well being.
What's "good?" - Norton Antivirus, McAffee.. the would all popup the false warning. I don't remember details, but it could be they looked for a specific object that many trojans use.. but could also be used legitametely. I spent some time searching for the trojan you posted and couldn't find anything - even at f-secure. I wonder if that's what it might be seating in jeanie - code that runs an autoupdate, perhaps.

Hi again Schielrn, the link - that Jonmo posted in his post # 10 does not work. I guess it has been removed by the admin people. How do I see the screen shot of that post now ? also do I have to personally edit something in VB editor to make that abnormal HTML Maker work again the normal way ?

thanks a lot for your time :)

The link which was in post 10 was to the test board, so it has long been deleted.

You can make the edit directly to the hrml maker in the vb editor. Or when posting you can switch to editor mode which is the little symbol on the right of the reply section that has two letter "A"s. I have just removed the line from the HTML Maker.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back