voluntary VAT registration

basoora

Are there any negative sides to voluntary VAT registration? I have a small business and on many purchases you get VAT back if you're registered. If I did, would I still get VAT back on purchases even though I haven't reached the threshold for compulsory registration? And except for the added paperwork, are there any negative sides to it at all?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Anyway:

>>>Are there any negative sides to voluntary VAT registration?

Yes, admin burden is significant. Potential to have a VAT inspector trawl thru your records could be unpleasant.

>>>>I have a small business and on many purchases you get VAT back if you're registered. If I did, would I still get VAT back on purchases even though I haven't reached the threshold for compulsory registration?

Yes.

>>>>> And except for the added paperwork, are there any negative sides to it at all?

Of course - a higher cost to your customers for one! If your customer base is to businesses (who are likely to be VAT-registered themselves) then this may well not be a consideration (altho your customers may prefer you to be VAT registered rather than not). However, if you have a largely consumer base, the imposition of VAT on your selling price may make you uncompetitive in the market place if your competition isn't VAT registered.

Isn't it kind of illegal not to register for VAT?

PS I only did one year of law at university, and only have a Higher in Accounting, so I could be totally wrong.:)

If I did, would I still get VAT back on purchases even though I haven't reached the threshold for compulsory registration?

You can claim VAT back for purchases predating your registration too, 1 year I think...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back