VLookup

Carolyn S

I am a recruiter and I'm looking for someone who has VLookup experience. I do not understand much about VLookup other than it's using formulas.

My question is, how would I find people who have this skill? What types of positions are they using it in?

Thanks!
:)

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
hi - welcome to the board!

Usually, we get posts from candidates who have been told they need excel skills, rather than from the recruiting side, so perhaps a link to one of the more recent threads might help here:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=192883

re the vlookup, simple way (if you don't know it yourself) would be to ask them what the forth argument in vlookup did - if they know, they either know vlookup ('cos they know the answer) or are bright enough to learn how to use it ('cos they understand what an expression's argument is & can remember, despite not knowing vlookup in practise, what the 4th one is!).

Hello, and welcome to the board. :)

It is one of many, many Worksheet Functions, which one might think of as a formula, although, perhaps incorrectly...

Most Excel users that can demonstrate expertise with Worksheet functions will know how to use this particular Worksheet function, which I would classify as a 'general use' Worksheet function, as opposed to IRR(), which is more of a 'niche' (Finance) Worksheet function.

I would think about sitting them down in front of a PC and see if they know how to use it, and can explain it to you. If they can explain how to use it to you:

• 1) They can articulate a technical concept (good)
    2) They know how to use the function
More info on VLookup() can be found here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP052093351033.aspx

Good luck with your search, Carolyn.

Thanks guys! You are already helping in a hurry, and those tips are definitely useful to me :)

Thanks for your welcome Nate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prakash K

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back