vlookup type thing - help - no little re: MS Access

DonkeyOte

MrExcel MVP
Hi - now I could do this v simply in Excel etc but in my wisdom I have decided to create a simple db program for one of my Management Accountants - only problem being that I can't do it :)

In short I have a form in which a user will "log" a sale - and denote a sale currency. Now, I then need 3 sale amounts to be converted into 3 currencies...

eg I have sale amount 1, sale amount2 and sale amount 3 denoted by currency GBP. I then have other columns such as sale amount1 - GBP, sale amount 2 - GBP, sale amount 3 - GBP, sale amount 1 - USD, sale amount 2 - USD etc...

So what I want is to get fields:

Sale Amount 1 GBP
Sale Amount 2 GBP
Sale Amount 3 GBP
Sale Amount 1 USD

etc

to auto populate by looking up the denoted currency and retrieving an Exch Rate - to which Sale Amount 1 is multiplied etc....

I have created a table called EXCH which has 4 rows and 4 columns - this is effectively a matrix - ie GBP, USD & EUR on the horizontal and vertical axis' - with erates filling up the cells...

So for say SALE AMOUNT 1 which is denoted as USD - I want to fill SALE AMOUNT 1 GBP by taking SALE AMOUNT 1 looking up USD and going across to GBP to get the ERATE...

I have no doubt this is v SIMPLE but I am lost...I only use Access to store data and retrieve via SQL so I am a bit "new"... Should I be looking to create a SQL query to do this or can I somehow create calculated fields within the table setup?

God that makes no sense. Back to Excel...

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi Lasw10,

Let's try to get to the bottom of this. So are you saying that you want to have this on a form? And you enter one thing then have the value come up in another currency (by say selecting a different currency from a combobox)?

I think what I would do is to set up a table something like this (forgive my lack of knowledge about the spelling and rates of foreign currencies):
Book1
ABCD
1ConvertDESCRIPTIONERATE
2USD2GBPDOLLARSTOPOUNDS0.75
3GPB2USDPOUNDSTODOLLARS1.3333333
4USD2EURDOLLARSTOEUROS0.5
5EUR2USDEUROSTODOLLARS2
Sheet1

Then you'd have to hook up the values to the exchange rates. Take a look at DLOOKUP in Help. A matrix won't really work in Access...

Hope this helps - let us know if it does not.

-Russell

Upvote 0
Thanks Russell - I opted to build events for each field on the form - doing the calcs through VB with the rates set as variables.

Thanks though - appreciated!

Luke

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffiajoseph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back