VLOOKUP Text Numbers in Excel - Episode 2272

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Mar 5, 2019.
Troubleshooting Excel VLOOKUP. You enter a VLOOKUP but all of the numbers are returning the #N/A error. You can see the 4399 in the lookup table, but here is the difference. The number in A2 is a text 4399 and the number in the lookup table is a number. Today, a new way to solve this with just two extra characters.
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel podcast, episode 2272. VLOOKUP text numbers.
Hey welcome back to MrExcel netcast, I’m Bill Jelen.
Here’s a problem that I’ve covered in the podcast before and I learned to create a new way. We’re trying to do a VLOOKUP here looking at 4399 into this table and it’s not working, right. The formula’s correct, everything looks great but it’s not finding a match. So it’s not finding a match for any of these and the problem as you can see is this green triangle over here. This 4399 is stored as text and that is not seen as a match for this 4399 which is stored as numbers.
Now in the past, on the podcast, I’ve suggested converting this column, text, numbers, real numbers choose the whole column, ALT DEF, bam, they’re all numbers, the VLOOKUP starts to work. But what if you have to leave this as text? Alright. I think I’ve suggested using value of A2 but I was doing a seminar in Orlando and Lyn, Lyn had a much shorter way to go. Just take that A2 and plus zero or I guess you could do times one and it starts to work again. Plus zero is taking that text number and converting it back to a real number and allowing the VLOOKUP to work. I want to thank Lynn for that great idea and I want to thank you for stopping by. We’ll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kibria

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back