VLOOKUP referencing multiple criteria in another sheet

mcscot74

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help with this one - this is my first post so please have patience!I
have a spreadsheet representing boreholes and where the intersection is for the weathering horizon. I'd like to be able to reference a water level table (on a different sheet) and return AWT, NWT,or BWT (in column D) on the Borehole sheet depending where the weathering horizon sits for each different field.
The borehole sheet is like this:
A B C D
Bore hole Field Weathering_Horizon Water Table
BH_001 East1 400 BWT (Below Water Table)
BH_002 East3 600 AWT (Above Water Table)
BH_003 East4 480 NWT (Near water table)
etc

The Reference table:
A B C D E F
Field Status_AWT Original Water Table Near Water Table Current Water table Below Water table
East1 AWT 494 NWT 477 BWT
East2 AWT 485 NWT 470 BWT
East3 AWT 480 NWT 479 BWT
East4 AWT 495 NWT 481 BWT

Referencing the Above Water table values seems to work but the formula runs into a #VALUE ! error when trying to allocate the "NWT" then BWT will not come through. It appears finding the value between the AWT & BWT is where the issue is but I can't seem to locate it. The data seems ok however I am new to using these functions so hopefully a simple fix.:)

I am using the following formula to try and reference between the AWT & BWT values to get the NWT where applicable:

VLOOKUP(B2,Water_table!$A$1:$F$11,IF(calcs!C2>=Water_table!$C$1$:$C$11,2,IF(AND(calcs!C2<Water_table!$C$1:$c$11,calcs!c2>Water_table!$E$1:$E$11,Water_table!$D$2:$D$11),IF(calcs!C2<=Water_table!$E$1:$E$11,6))),False)

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated

Thanks
Scott</Water_table!$C$1:$c$11,calcs!c2>

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help with this one - this is my first post so please have patience!I
have a spreadsheet representing boreholes and where the intersection is for the weathering horizon. I'd like to be able to reference a water level table (on a different sheet) and return AWT, NWT,or BWT (in column D) on the Borehole sheet depending where the weathering horizon sits for each different field.
The borehole sheet is like this:
A B C D
Bore hole Field Weathering_Horizon Water Table
BH_001 East1 400 BWT (Below Water Table)
BH_002 East3 600 AWT (Above Water Table)
BH_003 East4 480 NWT (Near water table)
etc

The Reference table:
A B C D E F
Field Status_AWT Original Water Table Near Water Table Current Water table Below Water table
East1 AWT 494 NWT 477 BWT
East2 AWT 485 NWT 470 BWT
East3 AWT 480 NWT 479 BWT
East4 AWT 495 NWT 481 BWT

Referencing the Above Water table values seems to work but the formula runs into a #VALUE ! error when trying to allocate the "NWT" then BWT will not come through. It appears finding the value between the AWT & BWT is where the issue is but I can't seem to locate it. The data seems ok however I am new to using these functions so hopefully a simple fix.:)

I am using the following formula to try and reference between the AWT & BWT values to get the NWT where applicable:

VLOOKUP(B2,Water_table!$A$1:$F$11,IF(calcs!C2>=Water_table!$C$1$:$C$11,2,IF(AND(calcs!C2<water_table!$c$1:$c$11,calcs!c2>Water_table!$E$1:$E$11,Water_table!$D$2:$D$11),IF(calcs!C2<=Water_table!$E$1:$E$11,6))),False)

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated

Thanks
Scott</water_table!$c$1:$c$11,calcs!c2>

not sure if I got the requirement correctly but you can try this:

=IF($C2>=INDEX(Water_Table!$C$2:$C$11,MATCH($B2,Water_Table!$A$2:$A$11,0)),"AWT",IF($C2>=INDEX(Water_Table!$E$2:$E$11,MATCH($B2,Water_Table!$A$2:$A$11,0)),"NWT","BWT"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyFlower

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back