Vlookup, Iferror or alternatives

custhasno

So I have a sheet with a tab for each project (that is a check list) and a summary page. Not all project sheets are identical, so the data I want to display in summary can be on slightly different cells on different sheets. I want to summarise a few cells from each sheet and was thinking the only way to do so was to use vlookup chained with iferror to search each sheet for the project name to match my summary table and then display the data from that projects corresponding cell. The problem is I have 45+ projects so the chain of the formula will be too large to handle easily.

Is there a handy way to display a specific cell from the sheet depending on the name of the sheet

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
There really isn't enough detail to give you a good solid answer (don't really know what it is you are trying to return from each sheet).

However, what you are describing sounds like a Relational Database. While you can "brute force" Excel to act like one, this is NOT what is was designed for, and hence tends to get slow and clunky, especially as your data grows. It would be far more efficient in Relational Database program, like Microsoft Access or SQL, as this is precisely what these programs were designed for.

If you are stuck using Excel, you may want to look into using Power Query in Excel, which allows you to do database-type operations from within Excel.
We have a forum for all the Power products here, named Power Tools.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DylantheD

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back