VLOOKUP formula with #N/A - don't know where is the problem...

yesitsmewojtek

Hi guys,

I'm using the lookup formula to look up values in array. I'm looking for a specific exchange rate for a specific date and currency.
Cell B61 contains EUR, cell B62 contains 3/9/2018 (formatted and showed as date 09/03/2018).
Below VLOOKUP works perfectly:

=VLOOKUP(B62,A4:AJ55,MATCH(1&" "&B61,A1:AJ1,)) always for each currency and date in my array (the result is 4.1989).

I don't understand why I'm getting the #N/A error for formula like this:

=VLOOKUP(("3/9/2018"),A4:AJ55,MATCH(1&" "&("USD"),A1:AJ1,))

A4:AJ55 is a table_array. In first column contains dates [e.g. 3/8/2018 (showed and formatted as date 08/03/2018)]. lookup_value in MATCH formula requires 1&" "& because I'm looking up in values like 1 USD.
Can I put exact values in VLOOKUP formula (like USD or 3/9/2018)? I have to understand that.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Welcome to the Board!

Dates are actually stored in Excel as Numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/0/1900. To see this, go to any date and change the format to General.
"3/9/2018" is NOT a date or numeric entry, it is a Text entry. You cannot compare Text to Numbers/Date.
Instead of "3/9/2018", use the DATE function, i.e. DATE(2019,3,9).

Upvote 0
OK, not everything is fine.

This is a part of VBA code that I wrote. Active cells are in Sheet10:

Private Sub InvoiceDateTextBox_AfterUpdate()

ActiveCell = InvoiceDateTextBox.Value

Dim ID As Date
Dim CV As String
CV = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value
(the value of cell could be PLN, EUR, USD)

If CV = "PLN" Then
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Select

Else

ID = ActiveCell.Value

ActiveCell.Formula = _
"=VLOOKUP((" & ID & "),Sheet12!A4:AJ55,MATCH(1&"" ""&(" & CV & "),Sheet12!A1:AJ1,))"

End If

End Sub

The ActiveCell.Formula gives =VLOOKUP((3/13/2018),Sheet12!A4:AJ55,MATCH(1&" "&(USD),Sheet12!A1:AJ1,))This part of code =VLOOKUP((" & ID & ") which gives (3/13/2018) is a look_up value (whole array is in other worksheet). This value should be a specific date and it is assigned to ID dim from a cell (this date can be different - is entered to a cell from TextBox, the cell is formated as date, for example 13/03/2018). I was trying to figure out how to use Date(year, month, day) function instead of (" & ID & "). I can't just simply make something like that: Date(" & ID & "). Is there any other option to get a date from a cell and put it into VLOOKUP as a look_up value (to look up on it in other sheet)?

Also part MATCH(1&" "&(USD),Sheet12!A1:AJ1,) should look like that: MATCH(1&" "&("USD"),Sheet12!A1:AJ1,)
I don't know how to add quotation marks around USD. I was trying to add them in many ways but none of them works.
The formula works properly when I'm using Date function and when the CV dim is in quote marks.

Upvote 0
We can use DATEVALUE to convert it from Text to Date.

The issue is determining the literal double-quotes from the double-quotes used as text qualifiers. You can double/triple them up to get them to work, but to me that looks messy and confusing. I prefer to use Chr(34) instead, which is the ASCII character for double-quotes.

So, I think the formula should look something like:
Code:
    ActiveCell.Formula = _
        "=VLOOKUP(DATEVALUE(" & Chr(34) & ID & Chr(34) & "),Sheet12!A4:AJ55,MATCH(1&"" ""&(" & Chr(34) & CV & Chr(34) & "),Sheet12!A1:AJ1,))"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back