VLOOKUP formula showing in the cell.

Geek Girl 007

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I use VLOOKUP for allot, but recently I have experienced this, can anyone make a suggestion?
The information it is reading I believe is VALUES??

Difficult to upload the exact sheet as it has sensitive information on it.
1722689030610.png

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
How is the column formatted ? My guess it is formatted as text, if so change it to general. Click in the formula bar and press enter. Then copy the formula down to all the rows.

Upvote 0
Solution
How is the column formatted ? My guess it is formatted as text, if so change it to general. Click in the formula bar and press enter. Then copy the formula down to all the rows.
Oh my gosh, I can not believe it was as simple as that, I spent 2 days on this....Thank you so very much ;)

Upvote 0
No problem. Can I also suggest that you change how you are referencing the lookup range.
We normally discourage using whole column referencing because it is inefficient and slow excel down. Using 1:1048576 would be the absolute worst case scenario since it is referencing the "Entire Sheet".
Since you want to return column B at least change it to:
[Raw Data.xlsx]Data!$A:$B ideally you limit the number of rows or use a Table so that you can use Table references to limit the number of rows being scanned by the lookup.

Upvote 0
No problem. Can I also suggest that you change how you are referencing the lookup range.
We normally discourage using whole column referencing because it is inefficient and slow excel down. Using 1:1048576 would be the absolute worst case scenario since it is referencing the "Entire Sheet".
Since you want to return column B at least change it to:
[Raw Data.xlsx]Data!$A:$B ideally you limit the number of rows or use a Table so that you can use Table references to limit the number of rows being scanned by the lookup.
That is REALLY helpful, Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loop98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back