Very challenging Access task (Production Schedule)

tminch55

Hello all! My name is Tony. Glad to be a part of this forum! I'm a long time lurker who just joined, and I appreciate all the extremely intelligent people here who donate their time to help others. I hope this post doesn't make me look too uneducated, but I'm sincerely stumped.

Quick background about my project... I recently changed companies as a Production Planner. At my previous company, I was a user of a database that allowed us to prioritize work orders manually from data that we pulled externally. I would really like to re-build this at my new company because it would be extremely valuable! So here are the details...

We worked primarily from one table. The table has the following:

1. Work order priority
2. Work order number
3. Item Number
4. Item Description
5. Due Date
6. Work order notes
7. Unit (Machine) #

All but the following were pulled from our ERP system
1. Item Notes
2. Work Order priority

I definitely need the work order priority to stick with the information even after the query is refreshed. I don't want to have to re-order these each time it's refreshed. New items that pull into the system would need to populate without a priority. Unfortunately, there is no way for our system to replicate the way in which we prioritize our orders because their are too many variables, so this is pretty important.

Does anyone know how I could set this up? I'm not a really advanced Access user, but I will try anything possible to make this happen. This would really help my company. Thank you very much.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Don't completely understand the issue. Pulling in everything except the priority or notes should not be a problem. You'd just load the records into a form and update the priority and comments. Once the record is saved, a query would pull this out again, such as when the form is refreshed or reopened, so I don't get what you mean by "need the work order priority to stick".

If there is only one comment per work order, your design should be OK. If there will be multiple comment records (such as from different users) there should be a comments table. One thing the design lacks is dates for the creation and/or approval and completion. Without these, you can never derive metrics around execution start delays or missing completion targets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freddocp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back