VBScript to be deprecated

jkpieterse

To my fellow VBA developers. If you have projects that depend on the Scripting Runtime library, beware. VBScript is going to be turned off and subsequently deprecated on Windows clients. Things like the Dictionary object, the FileSystemObject and other useful libraries will no longer be available and cause compile errors in your code. It isn't happening soon, but at least you'll have time to plan ahead: VBScript deprecation: Timelines and next steps

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Thanks for the heads up. It's going to break code as the Scripting Dictionary and The FSO are things I use often, but at least I have time to come up with a remediation plan. I suppose this explains why MS never updated the FSO to deal with OneDrive and SharePoint.

Upvote 0
VBScript deprecation: Timelines and next steps
The scope of VBScript deprecation includes only vbscript.dll and no other libraries. This shall not impact any projects that are not dependent on vbscript.dll.

As you can see in the below screenshots, the FileSystemObject should not be affected since it's another DLL,
but the Regular Expressions will be deprecated.

1716499387468.png
1716499464340.png

Am I right?
Can someone confirm that?

If the FSO will stay things aren't soo bad, but how about the RegEx, what should I use instead?
Any suggestions?

Best regards
Pete

Upvote 0
VBScript deprecation: Timelines and next steps

As you can see in the below screenshots, the FileSystemObject should not be affected since it's another DLL,
but the Regular Expressions will be deprecated.

View attachment 111840View attachment 111841

Am I right?
Can someone confirm that?

If the FSO will stay things aren't soo bad, but how about the RegEx, what should I use instead?
Any suggestions?

Best regards
Pete
I think you are, see: VBScript deprecation: Timelines and next steps

Upvote 0
@JEC
Standard regex functions are coming to excel
I saw that on a video. Can you explain what the use is for those functions. If I can put it in laymen's terms, "wut is all that gobbledigook in the parameters?"

Upvote 0
Regular expressions are being used to extract complex substrings. Takes time to learn but is is very powerful. I am a fan🙂

See this page for info

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back