VBA to lock row based on column U value

JohnLute

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day! I recently posted this and worked out some possible solutions however I'm still stuck so I'm posting it again.

I use column U as a "helper" in a table. The cells in this column have a formula that checks its row for errors. If it finds errors, it displays "OPEN"; if it finds no errors, it displays "LOCK".

On change event, I need to lock rows that display "LOCK" in the U helper column. Simply put: If target U = "LOCK" then lock entire row else do nothing.

Does anyone have anything that might help me with this?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
What is the name of the table ?
What is the header for the helper column ?
Do you really need all 16,384 cells of the row locked or would just those in the table suffice ?

Upvote 0
What is the name of the table ?
What is the header for the helper column ?
Do you really need all 16,384 cells of the row locked or would just those in the table suffice ?
Thanks for your reply.

The table name is tblOBLA.
The header for the helper column U is AUDHLPR.
The cells beyond the last column of the table (U) are already formatted as locked so I just need to lock columns A-N (columns O-U are all helper columns that are formatted as locked and are hidden).

Upvote 0
TRy this code
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim adr$, S$, T&
Dim M

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="abcd"
    Cells.Locked = False
    adr = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListColumns("AUDHLPR").DataBodyRange.Address
    M = Filter(Evaluate("transpose(If(" & adr & "=""LOCK"",""A""&Row(" & adr & "),false))"), False, False)

For T = 0 To UBound(M)
    S = S & "," & M(T)
    If Len(S) > 240 Or T = UBound(M) Then
    Range(Mid(S, 2)).EntireRow.Locked = True
    End If
    Next T
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="abcd"

End Sub
Since you have not specified range for Change event it is not included in the code.

Upvote 0
Modified Code:
VBA Code:
Dim adr$, S$, T&
Dim M

Cells.Locked = False
    adr = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListColumns("AUDHLPR").DataBodyRange.Address
    M = Filter(Evaluate("transpose(If(" & adr & "=""LOCK"",""A""&Row(" & adr & "),false))"), False, False)

For T = 0 To UBound(M)
    S = S & "," & M(T)
    S = ""
    End If
    Next T

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Worksheet_Change isn't triggered by cells containing formulas you need to use Worksheet_Calculate.
And you need to know the displayed value of the cells you're interested in both before and after the sheet recalculating.

I neglected to ask the sheet name or the password to unprotect the sheet so you'll need to change what I've used to suit what you actually have.

Try this with a copy of your workbook

Insert a new module and declare a public variable
VBA Code:
Public HelpArr

In the ThisWorkbook module
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    HelpArr = Sheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListColumns("AUDHLPR").DataBodyRange.Value
End Sub

In the sheet module
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    HelpArr = Sheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListColumns("AUDHLPR").DataBodyRange.Value
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    Dim TempArr, i As Long

TempArr = Sheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListColumns("AUDHLPR").DataBodyRange.Value
    For i = LBound(HelpArr) To UBound(HelpArr)
        If HelpArr(i, 1) <> TempArr(i, 1) Then
            If TempArr(i, 1) = "LOCK" Then
                With Sheets("Sheet1")
                    .Unprotect Password:=""
                    .ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListRows(i).Range.Cells(1).Resize(, 14).Locked = True
                    .Protect Password:=""
                    Exit For    ' stop checking at this point
                End With
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Sub

You need to save, close and reopen the workbook for this to work.

Upvote 0
Modified Code:
VBA Code:
Dim adr$, S$, T&
Dim M

Cells.Locked = False

For T = 0 To UBound(M)
    S = S & "," & M(T)
    S = ""
    End If
    Next T

End Sub
Thank you, kvsrinivasamurthy! I integrated this into my existing Change codes and tested. It's working very well! My only concern will be with performance. This is a new Excel file and it only has about 30 rows however it will expand to several thousand rows in short order. Do you see any issues running this on a table with thousands of rows?

Upvote 0
Worksheet_Change isn't triggered by cells containing formulas you need to use Worksheet_Calculate.
And you need to know the displayed value of the cells you're interested in both before and after the sheet recalculating.

I neglected to ask the sheet name or the password to unprotect the sheet so you'll need to change what I've used to suit what you actually have.

Try this with a copy of your workbook

Insert a new module and declare a public variable
VBA Code:
Public HelpArr

In the ThisWorkbook module
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
End Sub

In the sheet module
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    Dim TempArr, i As Long

TempArr = Sheets("Sheet1").ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListColumns("AUDHLPR").DataBodyRange.Value
    For i = LBound(HelpArr) To UBound(HelpArr)
        If HelpArr(i, 1) <> TempArr(i, 1) Then
            If TempArr(i, 1) = "LOCK" Then
                With Sheets("Sheet1")
                    .Unprotect Password:=""
                    .ListObjects("tblOBLA").ListRows(i).Range.Cells(1).Resize(, 14).Locked = True
                    .Protect Password:=""
                    Exit For    ' stop checking at this point
                End With
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Sub

You need to save, close and reopen the workbook for this to work.
Thanks, NoSparks! I tried this and was unable to debug 2 issues. One was with line "For i = LBound(HelpArr) To UBound(HelpArr)". This threw Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range. I also experienced Run-time error '13': Type mismatch with another line but was unable to identify which line was throwing it. The code posted by kvsrinivasamurthy worked so I settled with that. I greatly appreciate your engagement in this. It helped me to see an alternate possibility I hadn't seen previously.

Upvote 0
This is true however the cells in column U are updated by changes made in the cells of a given row. When these changes are made then column U cells update accordingly.
I use 7 columns as helpers. They all contain formulas and are hidden. They check for data entry errors and provide values for conditional formatting. Column U is a culmination of all the other helper columns. If all the other helper columns display FALSE then column U displays "LOCK" otherwise, column U displays "OPEN". Every change made impacts what column U displays.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back