VBA Split Function to Replicate Text To Columns

xljunkie

Board Regular
I start off with a comma delimited text file which I import into a table. One of these columns is further space (or tab?) delimited. I'm more used to Excel and since I don't have SEARCH or FIND functions available to me in a query field, I created my own function in VBA to do text to columns:

Code:
Function SplitField(strValue As String, strDelimiter As String, intPartWanted As Integer) As String
    SplitField = Split(strValue, strDelimiter, , vbTextCompare)(intPartWanted - 1)
End Function

I can now pull in the first column correctly with Hours: SplitField([HoursUnconverted]," ",1). However, the number of spaces between each actual string of text differs. I might have this in my table (imagine the periods are spaces):

7:00AM-5:00PM.......CLOSED.......CLOSED
7:00AM-5:00PM.......CLOSED.......CLOSED
CLOSED..................CLOSED.......CLOSED

I'm having trouble consistently getting the 2nd and 3rd text strings above because of the number of spaces. Any help? I can explain in a different way if necessary.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Figured out a way that will work for me. It isn't as flexible as I'd like but first apply this formula on a query: HoursStep1: Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace([Hoursunconverted]," "," ")," "," ")," "," ")," "," ")

This is just slowly replacing double spaces down to one space. It works for my dataset but could potentially not work for others. Then I can use the function I created to do a split by space delimiter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bosvinn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back