[VBA] hyperlink to another sheet with dynamic name

Trikson

Board Regular
Hi there,

Here I come with another question that I can't seem to find answer to anywhere.

I have following code that is responsible for creating hyperlink to a sheet whose name is the same as cell (r, 4) value:

Rich (BB code):
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="", SubAddress:=Cells(r, 4).Value & "!A1", ScreenTip:=Cells(r, 4).Value, TextToDisplay:="....."

If the sheet name is one word (i.e. 123 or INC or WHATEVER) the code works fine and the hyperlink created works fine.

However if Sheet name is two or more words (i.e. 123 456 or WORLD INC or WHATEVER YOU WISH) the hyperlink is created but does not work (Reference not valid).

I assume it's creating link to sheet named as only one part of the cell.value.

Here's the thing - in VBA excel is using ' to mark the start and end of long names (i.e. '123 456' or 'WORLD INC' or 'WHATEVER YOU WISH') but in my scenario I cannot use explicit names (or Sheet numbers like Sheet1 etc.) because new sheets will be created and code should work for all of them.

So is there any way to achieve what I am aiming for here? Or should I just use "_" in names instead of spaces and forget about any fancy VBA resolution?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi,

Here's the thing - in VBA excel is using ' to mark the start and end of long names

Single quotes are actually required because there is a space in the sheet name so either your solution of using underscore "_" or you need to add the single quotes in.

e.g.
Code:
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="", SubAddress:="[COLOR="#FF0000"]'[/COLOR]" & Cells(r, 4).Value & "[COLOR="#FF0000"]'[/COLOR]!A1", ScreenTip:=Cells(r, 4).Value, TextToDisplay:="....."

Untested, but hope this helps,

Eric

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your answer.

Your code required a little tinkering but the idea was correct. Adjusted subaddress code to

Code:
SubAddress:="'" & Cells(r, 4).Value & "'" & "!A1"
and now it works like a charm.

Thank you once again!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Code:
"[COLOR="#FF0000"]'[/COLOR]!A1"

should give the same result as

Code:
"'" & "!A1"

however, as long as it works for you.

Eric

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your answer.

Your code required a little tinkering but the idea was correct. Adjusted subaddress code to

Code:
SubAddress:="'" & Cells(r, 4).Value & "'" & "!A1"
and now it works like a charm.

Thank you once again!
you guys are awesome - 6 years later and this exact thing has been killing me, perfect solution!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back