VBA - Fixed Length

shemayisroel

Hi,

I have a set of data that's fixed length - 19 characters per field with 17 Headers. Data structure is below. Each record comes over 3 rows as defined below and not all fields for every record will contain data. Looking for a VBA code that can extract the data and place each field (header) in a seperate column. This can be achieved (and have done so) via the "Text to Columns" but looking to now automate this via VBA.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 928pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=1237><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 928pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 45238" width=1237><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 928pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=20 width=1237>Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field5 Field6 Field7 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=20>Field8 Field9 Field10 Field11 Field12 Field13 Field14 </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=20>Field15 Field16 Field17 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Is the space character the delimiter for your data?

Thanks for the reply, no. It's fixed length, would probably not use space as some of the fields will contain a suburb with a space in it like Mount Lewis etc

Does that answer your question?

Upvote 0
Yes it does answer my question. What is your source data - is it a text file or is it already in Excel? I would be fairly confident that TextToColumns would be the quickest way to do this (rather than coming up with some elaborate array based method). Have you tried just recording a macro to do the text to columns? What are the problems you're facing with that?

Sorry for all the questions but just need a bit more background on exactly what's needed.

Upvote 0
Source data is a text file, copying that into excel.

Your right, simply recording the text to columns and manually adjusting the break line does it.

Thanks.

I'll attach that code to a command button then that should do it.

Is there a better/cleaner way?

Upvote 0
You could loop through the file using Scripting.FileSystemObject and then parse the data using something like Mid$ but that seems un-necessary if your data can be imported directly using TextToColumns. In the past I've used the FSO method but that was where the data had lots of rows that I wanted to exclude e.g. header rows, subtotals, etc.

If you're creating a macro that is going to be used by others and you want it to look more "polished" then you could disable screen updating using Application.ScreenUpdating = False so they don't actually see what's happening. Just make sure you set it back afterwards otherwise Excel will be unusable.

HTH
DK

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudgetGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back