VBA - Filter columns, cut/paste rows new sheet, pivot table

outis_

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, newbie here. I can record a macro and use it, but don't understand the jargon to edit, and started looking into VBA only last week - totally clueless yet totally hooked.
Sorry if similar questions have been asked before. I learn best when I learn by doing, so I hope someone can help me with this.

Below is a sample dataset that needs to be manipulated, and the steps to be taken.
Would it be possible to streamline this, accommodating dynamic datasets?

Steps to sort data:
  • In ‘Prep’ tab, Filter column D ‘DonationType’ for ‘blanks’
  • Copy and paste rows into ‘Gift aid’ tab and delete visible rows in ‘Prep’ tab
  • In ‘Gift aid’ tab, create a pivot table with GiftAidAmount by Gift date
  • In ‘Prep’ tab, filter column D ‘DonationType’ for ‘Account Donation’, ‘Account Voucher’ or ‘Other Matched Giving’
  • Copy and paste rows into ‘Data entry’ tab and delete visible rows in ‘Prep’ tab
  • In ‘Prep’ tab, filter Column A ‘DonorName’ for text that contains ‘S/O ANON’ or ‘SO ANON’, copy and paste into ‘Data entry’ tab and delete visible rows in ‘Prep’ tab
  • Sort ‘Prep’ tab by ‘Surname’ (Column B)
In case it affects the choice of coding, the ordering does not matter, as long as the Prep tab is sorted by surname with relevant rows deleted, and the pivot table is created from the Gift aid tab.

I hope I have managed to explain everything well, but please let me know if I am missing anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

VBA test.xlsx
ABCDEF
1DonorNameSurnameDonationAmountDonationTypeGiftAidAmountGift date
2LEAHYLEAHY100S/O001/07/2020
3Foundation500Account Voucher003/07/2020
4CHAPMANCHAPMAN10D/D003/07/2020
5BROWNBROWN5D/D003/07/2020
6ROBINSONROBINSON25D/D003/07/2020
7DAVIESDAVIES5D/D003/07/2020
8FrankFrank25Account Regular Donation004/07/2020
9HAIGHHaigh5Account Regular Donation004/07/2020
10SmithSmith10Account Regular Donation004/07/2020
11M J AY5000Account Voucher004/07/2020
12MOONEYMOONEY0304/07/2020
13HendersonHenderson10Account Regular Donation007/07/2020
14S/O ANON - xxxS/O ANON - xxx50S/O007/07/2020
15GARDNERGARDNER10S/O007/07/2020
16S/O ANON - yyyS/O ANON - yyy15S/O007/07/2020
17SO ANON - J C GSO ANON - J C G15S/O007/07/2020
18STEWARTSTEWART10S/O009/07/2020
19OWENOWEN5S/O015/07/2020
20ColleyColley5Account Regular Donation016/07/2020
21GRUGRUNDY02.517/07/2020
22PELLPELL01.2517/07/2020
23DAVIESDAVIES0417/07/2020
24PurserPurser01.2517/07/2020
25ELLISELLIS00.517/07/2020
26TalbotTalbot0318/07/2020
27DaveyDavey01.2518/07/2020
28MOONEYMOONEY2S/O021/07/2020
29BALDWINBALDWIN3D/D025/07/2020
30PELLPELL5D/D025/07/2020
31DAVIESDAVIES5D/D025/07/2020
32Gilson CGilson60Account Regular Donation027/07/2020
33SO ANON RSO ANON R10S/O028/07/2020
34JacksonJackson20Other Matched Giving031/07/2020
Prep

VBA test.xlsx
ABCDEF
Data entry

VBA test.xlsx
ABCDEF
Gift aid

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi @outis_ , and welcome. I too got hooked on VBA years ago and am STILL learning. It's great! Note that VBA's built-in Object Browser (F2) and Microsoft's Online Office VBA Reference library are wonderful places to learn. When getting started it's best to lean proper nomenclature and "Best Practices". Again, I am no expert, and there are many on this forum who know more than I and will hopefully correct me if I point you in the wrong direction.
First - Nomenclature: When you create, or open, an Excel Spreadsheet file it is call a Workbook. Each "Tab" in that Workbook are called "Sheets". Currently, there are two types of Sheets: Worksheets and Charts [Difference between Sheets and Worksheets in VBA - Excel Off The Grid].
Second - Best Practices: I may get some argument here from the people on the Forum (I hope so) but I usually Proper Case my Sheet names. i.e. - "Gift aid" becomes "Gift Aid", or if you want your code to look "fancy" then you could do something like "Gift_Aid".
Now, I'm sure that you've already figured out that to get to the VBA Project Model you can hit Alt+F11 when your Workbook is open. Left click on your Workbook and Insert a Module. The code I submit should be pasted there. Please remember to test all code on a copy of your Workbook because VBA commands can't be undone. Here is a little bit of code to see how debugging works. Once you've pasted it to your Module, put your cursor anywhere within the Sub and End Sub and hit F8. This will go through each line of code every time you hit F8. Make sure that you have your Locals window open (File Menu > View > Locals Window) so that you can see all of the variables. It will also help to have the Properties window open as well. If you are past this point, let me know and I'll skip ahead.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
'Make Sub name something that kina defines the operation
Sub pCaseShtName()
' Declare you Variables
Dim wb As Workbook, sht As Worksheet
' Set your Variables
Set wb = Workbooks("VBA test.xlsm")
' Perform an action. In this case I'm going to change all of the Sheet names to Proper Case
For Each sht In wb.Sheets
    sht.Name = StrConv(sht.Name, vbProperCase)
Next sht
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello @Skyybot ! Thank you for getting back to me. I cannot even begin to express my excitement over VBA, it is exactly the kind of logical thinking that my busy brain likes to chew over.
I managed to find the Locals Window, and I've followed your instructions - it worked!
I didn't know about VBA's Object Browser - thanks for pointing that out to me. I think I'm still too new to this though, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, but I will explore Microsoft's VBA Reference Library.
Thank you for helping me get the basics right, and for your time of course, I really appreciate it.
I eagerly await next instructions!

Upvote 0
@outis_ , play around with the MsgBox funtion of VBA. Also, if you want to display information without a MsgBox, in the VBA Project Model click to view the "Immediate Window". Use Debug.Print method to see the results. See if you can write me a simple Macro that tells me the number of sheets in your Workbook. As an example, here is some code that will tell you the name of the first Sheet in the Workbook. The first code does the MsgBox. The second code make use of the Immediate Window. Don't copy both macros into the same Module as you cannot have the same Sub name twice in one module.

First Code:

VBA Code:
Sub shtName()
Dim wb As Workbook
MsgBox "The name of the first Sheet in this Workbook is " & wb.Sheets(1).Name & ".", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Sheet Name"
End Sub

Second Code:

VBA Code:
Sub shtName()
Dim wb As Workbook
Debug.Print "The name of the first Sheet in this Workbook is " & wb.Sheets(1).Name
End Sub

Upvote 0
@Skyybot VBA's Object Browser is starting to make sense now. And I see the importance of the word 'Sheets' as opposed to tabs. Thanks

VBA Code:
Sub shtCount()
Dim wb As Workbook
MsgBox "Hi Skyybot, the number of Sheets in this Workbook is " & wb.Sheets.Count & ".", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Sheet Count"
End Sub

VBA Code:
Sub shtCount()
Dim wb As Workbook
Debug.Print "The number of Sheets in this Workbook is " & wb.Sheets.Count & "."; " Thanks Skyybot!"
Debug.Print "Where will we go next?"
End Sub

Upvote 0
@outis_ , Yeah, I wanted you to get a feel for the Object browser because the placement of your code is important. Plus, there are some built-in methods and properties in ThisWorkbook, and individual Sheet codes that you can make use of. Also, keywords can change. As an example, insert a Module and put this code in it. You will get an error. Then move the code to ThisWorkbook. You will get a different error. Then finally, move it to one of the Sheet modules.

VBA Code:
Sub highlightCells()
Me.Cells.Interior.Color = vbYellow
End Sub

See if you can edit the code to work in the Module that you inserted instead of the Sheet code module.

Upvote 0
Hello @Skyybot , I did manage to find a solution. Here it is below. (Feel free to ignore the green. Thinking through what you are showing me).

VBA Code:
'Me works in Sheets because it refers to itself - the Prep Sheet to which the code will be applied?
'In Module and ThisWorksheet Me does not work because the X to which Me refers to is unspecified?
'Need to specify Worksheet...?

Sub highlightCells()

Worksheets("Gift Aid").Cells.Interior.Color = vbYellow

End Sub

I wasn't very satisfied with this solution. It didn't look like the way you wrote your codes.

I found another one.

VBA Code:
Sub highlightCells()
Dim Wb As Workbook
Set Wb = Workbooks("VBA test.xlsm")

Wb.Sheets("Gift Aid").Cells.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 153, 204)

MsgBox "Actually Skyybot, I prefer the colour Green..."
End Sub

But now I'm puzzled. Both solutions work - for me, at least. I realise I don't fully understand the importance of 'Dim...As' and 'Set...=' yet. (Feeling stupid. So glad I can hide behind a screen).
And thank you, I am learning so much.

VBA Code:
Sub highlightRange()

Dim Wb As Workbook
Set Wb = ThisWorkbook

Wb.Sheets("Data Entry").Cells.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 153, 204)

Wb.Sheets("Data Entry").Range("C5:C15,D9:D10,E5:E15,G5:G7,G9:G15").Interior.Color = RGB(0, 128, 0)

End Sub

'Just for fun.

(Also confused as to why 'Set Wb = ThisWorkbook("VBA test.xlsm")' did not work)

Upvote 0
DIM declares your variable (and data type if you know it). You cannot set a value to a variable that hasn't been declared. Set sets the value to the variable that you declared. Not to add confusion at this point but you don't have to use SET on all of your Variables. Only Objects. A Workbook is an Object so, you have to declare a Variable (
VBA Code:
Dim wb as Workbook 'wb is the variable
), then set a value to that variable (
VBA Code:
Set wb = Workbooks ("Book1.xls")
). But if you are working with, say a String, declare the variable (
VBA Code:
Dim x as String
) and then assign the variable a value (
VBA Code:
x = wb.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value
). Notice you don't have to use the Set keyword.

Upvote 0
Also confused as to why 'Set Wb = ThisWorkbook("VBA test.xlsm")' did not work
ThisWorkbook is the CodeName of the Workbook and a VBA constant. So, ThisWorkbook and Workbooks("VBA test.xlsm") are the same (in this case). ThisWorkbook("VBA test.xlsm") isn't a thing. Will cause an error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back