VBA automatically adding up cells ish?

Ramballah

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello i have a question
I have this code i wrote for copying my charts to save the information once im done with. heres the code:
Code:
Sub Range_Copy_Example()    Dim First_Chart As String, Second_Chart As String, Third_Chart As String
    Dim Fourth_Chart As String
    First_Chart = Range("B2")
    Second_Chart = Range("K2")
    Third_Chart = Range("T2")
    Fourth_Chart = Range("B104")
    'This copies a cellrange and removes it.
    If First_Chart = "" = False And Second_Chart = "" = True Then
        Range("A1:H101").Copy Range("J1:Q101")
        Range("B2:D101").ClearContents
        Range("F2:H101").ClearContents
    ElseIf First_Chart = "" = False And Third_Chart = "" = True Then
        Range("A1:H101").Copy Range("S1:Z101")
        Range("B2:D101").ClearContents
        Range("F2:H101").ClearContents
    End If
End Sub
As you can see it does its job i want him to do. However i need more than 50 charts and this only covers the first 2 basically... Is there a way that VBA automatically adds up the amount of cells he needs to go to the right / down to paste the next chart? So i dont need to write this code 48 more times?? if im not clear enough just ask im willing to drop my file for download.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
mcyAnU
mcyAnU
https://ibb.co/mcyAnU Here this is what i kinda want. I want it so when Chart 5 is full it copies the enxt chart into chart 6, then once that is done it goes to 7 then 8 then 9 etc. But i dont want it to stop at 9. i want it to keep going

Upvote 0
:eek: I did not see post#2 before posting this

Your chart ranges and are consistently 9 columns apart

Try this

Code:
Sub UseOfOffset()

Dim cel As Range, rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range, rng3 As Range, i As Integer
Set cel = Range("B2")
Set rng1 = Range("A1:H101")
Set rng2 = Range("B2:D101")
Set rng3 = Range("F2:H101")

For i = 1 To 50
    If cel = "" = False And cel.Offset(, [COLOR=#ff0000]9[/COLOR] * i) = "" = True Then
        Range("A1:H101").Copy rng1.Offset(, [COLOR=#ff0000]9[/COLOR] * i)
    End If
    rng2.ClearContents
    rng3.ClearContents
Next i

End Sub

This generates these addresses for clearing ranges (which match up with those provided in post#1
1 K2 $J$1:$Q$101
2 T2 $S$1:$Z$101
3 AC2 $AB$1:$AI$101
4 AL2 $AK$1:$AR$101
5 AU2 $AT$1:$BA$101
6 BD2 $BC$1:$BJ$101
etc

You could use a variable to determine the number of iterations (currently = 50)
Perhaps using this calculation
Code:
Dim v As Integer
v = (Cells(101, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column - 8) / 9

For i = 1 To v
etc

If Q101 is last cell with value in row then v=1
If Z10 1is last cell with value in row then v=2 etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for this amazing answer. Sadly im not really familliar with VBA yet so im having a hard time understanding what you mean. This works indeed yes how ever i need it to go down aswell.

https://files.fm/u/d3s4csqx This here is a download link to my file. I just use the TEST sheet to test my macro's for now. But as you can see that chart 1 is filled with a bit of information. My goal is to have that chart automatically filled with information from the Main sheet charts. Then once its filled i want it to be going to the next chart in the TEST sheet. But as you can see it goes down after 3. If you need more information feel free to ask! Im already happy for you helping me! im just not really familliar yet. Also it doesnt have to be exactly 3 times going to the right. But max 5 times and then go down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have a play with this and familiarise yourself with offsetting in both directions
Currently assumes
- accoss offset of 9 columns X 5 times
- down offset of 10 rows X 4 times (the first offset being zero)

This generates a new sheet each time detailing all the range addresses which you need to get correct by altering the value of the downward offset
Code:
Sub PracticeOffset()

Dim cel As Range, rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range, rng3 As Range, d As Integer, i As Integer
Set cel = Range("B2")
Dim ws As Worksheet, r As Long

Set ws = Worksheets.Add
r = 1
ws.Cells(1, 1).Resize(, 4).Value = Array("down", "across", "cell", "range")
For d = 0 To 3
    For i = 1 To 5 'going across
        r = r + 1
            ws.Cells(r, 1) = d
            ws.Cells(r, 2) = i
            ws.Cells(r, 3) = cel.Offset(d * [COLOR=#ff0000]10[/COLOR], 9 * i).Address(0, 0)
            ws.Cells(r, 4) = rng1.Offset(d * [COLOR=#ff0000]10[/COLOR], 9 * i).Address(0, 0)
    Next i
Next d

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for ur answer. i just tested this macro right now and im not sure if i did something wrong or u kinda mis understood.
I just get a new worksheet now with some information i dont even know whats going on.

So let me just re explain some things XD

I have made this chart thing in my Main sheet. Where i put information in for my games if i win or lose and how much money i win or lose.
Now when im done with 1 chart i want it to be saved for my total record. So in the TEST SHEET for now. I want that chart to be copied to. Then for the next game i also want to save it. so i want to copy that one aswell next to the one i already got in my test sheet. So i have game 1 and 2 in my test sheet. Now i want this for like tons of games to happen. My own macro does kinda what i want but i have to manually add that code for every game as you could see with an Elseif.

downacrosscellrange
01K2J1:Q101
02T2S1:Z101
03AC2AB1:AI101
04AL2AK1:AR101
05AU2AT1:BA101
11K12J11:Q111
12T12S11:Z111
13AC12AB11:AI111
14AL12AK11:AR111
15AU12AT11:BA111
21K22J21:Q121
22T22S21:Z121
23AC22AB21:AI121
24AL22AK21:AR121
25AU22AT21:BA121
31K32J31:Q131
32T32S31:Z131
33AC32AB31:AI131
34AL32AK31:AR131
35AU32AT31:BA131

<colgroup><col width="64" span="4" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Is what i get if i use your macro.
So at this point im not sure anymore if i did something wrong or if it got misunderstood or something. But still thanks for helping.

Upvote 0
The original solution (based on the data you provided in post#1) looped across the sheet only
You also want to go down the sheet after 5 charts, so you need a second loop to do that (and the first loop needs to be inside the 2nd loop)

Post#5 method provided to help you understand how offset works in VBA :)

Play with it until you get your ranges correct
When you have done that, amend the solution provided in post#3 (adding the second loop around the first loop, and amending the offsets to get your desired results)
The code does not change, except that you need to add the loop and offset both rows and columns instead of columns only

This method only works if your ranges are always exactly the same number of rows apart (same applies to Columns)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so your code will look something like this

Code:
Dim cel As Range, rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range, rng3 As Range, [COLOR=#ff0000]d As Integer,[/COLOR] i As Integer
Set cel = Range("B2")
For d = 0 To [COLOR=#ff0000]how many times to go down[/COLOR]
    For i = 1 To 50
        If cel = "" = False And cel.Offset([COLOR=#ff0000]how many rows to offset[/COLOR], 9 * i) = "" = True Then
            Range("A1:H101").Copy rng1.Offset([COLOR=#ff0000]how many rows to offset[/COLOR], 9 * i)
        End If
        rng2.ClearContents
        rng3.ClearContents
    Next i
Next d

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh now i understand! Thanks this helps me learn this yes and make the code myself! much better than copying a random code and not understanding it! thanks :D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back