Variable input for linear equations system.

majet

Hi, I recently started the whole Excel VBA programming experience and used this forum a lot in the past weeks. Now I am stuck with this problem:

I have a simple matrix multiplication [Sigma]=[E]*[Epsilon] for the stiffness of composite materials. Sigma and Epsilon are 6 terms vectors and the complex rigidity matrix E is a 6x6 coefficients matrix with all terms known (ABD matrix).

Here is the twist: For every position of both Epsilon and Sigma vectors (1 to 6), the user must input a value for ONE of the two vectors. For instance he can define terms 1,2 and 6 of the Sigma vector and 3,4 and 5 of the Epsilon vector. Then, my software must be able to compute the 6 remaining terms. For instance the user can define that the composite plate remains flat (3 last terms of the Epsilon vector equal 0) while being submitted to a plane stress state (3 firsts terms not nil for Sigma vector).

Is there any way to make this automatically so I do not have to manually solve and then input the 64 possibilities of equations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I do not understand how I could perform the multiplication MMULT with variables to solve them afterwards. As I explained in my description, if terms 3,4 and 5 of the Epsilon vector are known numerical values and terms 1, 2 and 6 are variables, doing MMULT of the epsilon vector with my E 6x6 matrix would not provide the linear equation system that can be solved with the 3 known terms of the Sigma vector. MMULT will only compute numerical values and not allow me to build an algebric equation system with 3 variables, right ?

Upvote 0
I solved my problem iteratively computing the missing elements of both epsilon and sigma vectors and the solution converges for all the inputs I have tried so far.

Thx for your efforts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back