Validation Rule Edit

wobble12

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I am a novice when it comes to editing how a database works, but I have an old Access database that a clever chap designed many years ago.

Its a waste database, and the quantity field has a validation which limits the value between 0 and 400.
I need to increase this between 0 and 2000. However, I have found the properties field where the rule, and it won't let me edit the value. Even when I go into expression builder and actually edit the rule, it won't update I the main field.

If there a way to edit this please?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Is the database read only?
Are you able to share it in some way?

How about a picture of the rule like this?
I am just thinking it is an FE/BE, so you need to edit the BE

1722612321042.png

Upvote 0
I have found the properties field where the rule
You found this in table design like WGM is showing? If you tried to edit table properties on a linked table, you should get a warning/error saying you cannot do that. Maybe you should post a pic of where you found your current validation rule, or explain it in more detail.

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying.
Attempting to post a pic of the issue:
1722716435530.png

I would like to change the 400 to 2000 please.

Upvote 0
OK, they appear to be local tables, so no clue as to why you cannot amend it.
Can you just rename a field as a test?

Upvote 0
"Validation Rule" is in the field properties shown at the bottom. Why can't you just change it? Looks like it says "Between 0 and 400" but hard to see in that pic. So change to Between 0 and 2000 or whatever you need. You don't need the expression builder for this. Just change 400 to 2000 in the validation property at the bottom where it shows the current validation in your pic.

Upvote 0
I have tried to edit the values in both places, and they don't seem to work. is there some proection that might be in place that I need to unlock?

Upvote 0
Do you get any error message when you try to save the table after making the design change? Can you post a pic of the change you make for the table field validation rule? A snip of that would be better than a pic of the whole table design because in your prior pic the text in that area is quite small and virtually unreadable.

Upvote 0
Extract that table into a new DB.
Remove all data and get it to us in some way.

Upvote 0
"not working" means what?
You can't make the rule work when adding data to the table, or it works then but not when adding by using a form?
You make the changes and save the table design and there are no messages but the change doesn't stick?
You make the change, it saves but you can't enter anything higher than 400?
Something else?

I'll be traveling on the road today so I may not be back to this today.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back