Using the Tab Control from the ToolBox

spectraflame

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to create a single form with a tab control at the bottom of the page. At the top of this form, data will be keyed into the appropirate cells. Since I have more fields than will easily fit on a single form, I thought that I would place several of them on two separate tabs with a tab contol box. One of the tabs would be called NEW and the other one called OLD. However when I added the tab control, renamed my tabs, and placed fields on each tab to allow input, when I enter Form View the data from the OLD tab is visible on the NEW tab.

Is there an easy way to separate the two tab forms so that I can fill out data on each tab and have only one visible at a time?

Thanks,
Matthew

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Since I have more fields than will easily fit on a single form

Why not use more than one form?

Do you really need all the fields?

Can none be calculated or set to defaults?

As for your use of a tab control I'm unclear what you are doing?

Are the fields on each tab different or are they the same fields with different names?

Upvote 0
The top portion of the form is related to a daily service order. It contains fields such as customer name, address, phone, assigned employee, desccription, etc. The lower portion of the form where I would like to use the tab control is related to that specific service order with information like Meter Serial Number, Current Reading, Number of Phases, Volts, AMPs, Wire Size, etc. The only difference between these fields is that I have a Meter Serial Number field for the New meter and a Meter Serial Number field for the Old meter. I was thinking that it would save space on the form by just having that information separated on two tabs.

Am I making any sense?
Matthew

Upvote 0
What about using a subform?

The main form could have the customer name etc and the subform the rest of the fields

Upvote 0
I think I found my problem. I did not have the individual tab selected before I pasted my fields into it. Let me mess around with this a few days and I will get back with you if I need some additional assistance.

Thanks,
Matthew

Upvote 0
Something to watch for ...
Access does wacky things with controls on tabbed controls. To get around the problem you mentioned, I drag each control from the field list or the toolbox onto the tab control. You'll know it is going to work because the tab control highlights in reverse video. To put controls onto the next tab, select that tab first (as you mentioned) and drag the appropriate controls into place.
Copy and paste generally does not work -- the controls merely "float" above the form and appear, regardless of which tab you select.

Denis

Upvote 0
I just found that out. I will try your method of drag and drop.

Thanks,
Matthew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back