Using IF with MID

i_m_rock

I am a new member and new to excel. I needed to find out how to use IF and MID functions together. =IF MID(B2,4,1) =5 Then return value 5, if it =1 then return value "1.75" etc. Is this possible? Also i have 5 other fields that will update based on the returned value. Will that cause errors? Thanks in advance! :)

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Welcome to the Board!

You can imbed up to 7 levels in an IF statement. Your IF would look something like:

=IF(MID(B2,4,1)=5,5,IF(MID(B2,4,1)=1,1.75,...))

If you have more than that, take a look at using something like VLOOKUP (Excel's built-in help on functions has details and example of that).

I have also seen some people using some other clever methods using arrays, though that quite isn't my specialty!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

Sure it's possible, but judging by your description, I wouldn't use IF..
It looks like you have more than 2 options for value to return based on what the 4th character is. I would use a lookup.

=LOOKUP(MID(B2,4,1)+0,{1,5},{1.75,5})

It takes the 4th character of B2 (the +0 makes it a number isntead of a text string).
Finds that number in the first array {1,5}
Returns the corresponding value from the 2nd array {1.75,5}

Make sure the 1st array is listed in ASCENDING order, smallest to largest from left to right.

Hope that helps..

Upvote 0
There it is. That was the method I was thinking about. Thanks Jon.

Upvote 0
Also, the lookup may need some tweeking / error handling.

As the formula is, it will error if the 4th character is NOT a number, OR if there IS no 4th character, like the string is only 2 or 3 characters long..

Also, if say the 4th character is a 3 (which is NOT in the lookup array), it will return the closest match (largest # that is less than or equal to the lookup). So in this case it will return as if the 4th character was a 1.

all this can be adjusted for if you need it. Probably more like an Index/Match type of formula

Upvote 0
Is there a way to have the value return " " empty if the first field is empty. It shows #value now if the field is empty. Not a big deal, just trying to clean it up. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Sure, but it might be better to test if the Length of B2 is less than 4 (because that will cause error as well).

=IF(LEN(B2)<4,"",LOOKUP(MID(B2,4,1)+0,{1,5},{1.75,5}))

Upvote 0
Also, the lookup may need some tweeking / error handling.

As the formula is, it will error if the 4th character is NOT a number, OR if there IS no 4th character, like the string is only 2 or 3 characters long..

Also, if say the 4th character is a 3 (which is NOT in the lookup array), it will return the closest match (largest # that is less than or equal to the lookup). So in this case it will return as if the 4th character was a 1.

all this can be adjusted for if you need it. Probably more like an Index/Match type of formula

I was hoping to avoid this by formating the cell to limit it to the number of characters that I need (00-0000)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tdeulkar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back