Using existing charts in another workbook

flightjock

Hi,

Many times it's convenient to use an existing chart in another workbook. It's easy to copy the chart to the new workbook, however, the chart then will reference to the original workbook/cells.
Especially when there are several series in the chart it is a little user unfriendly to change all the series reference to the new data in the new workbook. Is there an easy way of changing all references in one step?

Anthony

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Why not just save your chart's format as a custom chart type, and use that chart type when you create a chart in the new workbook?

Upvote 0
If the chart is embedded in the worksheet that contains all its data, and the new data has the same structure (i.e., all the same information is in the same cells), you can copy the entire sheet, including the embedded chart, then copy the new data, and use paste special-values to put it into the chart's source range.

Another option is a routine I posted on my web site:

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ChgSrsFmla.html

which is a string search & replace utility for chart series formulas. You can replace one sheet name with another, or change rows or columns, etc. This page tells how it works, and it gives a link to a free downloadable form-based utility that does it for you.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
_______

Upvote 0
Thank you guys!

John, I regularly scan your site for useful things (there are many!), but I missed this one. This is exactly what I want.

Anthony

Upvote 0
Anthony -

One day, I promise to make a decent index. When I get a minute, right.

- Jon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvan07

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back