Using Excel for a letter

Kade

Hi all

Any suggestions how to write individual letters to a client using excel rather than word.

I have a about 200 clients a year and over this period I send each client 6 pro forma progress reports.

I find it convenient to use an excel workbook for each client with a separate sheet for each of the standard report forms.

The individual book per client works really well for for the standard reports and electronocally keeping all client data in the one file.

However, occasionally I need to write a non generic letter to a client, and rather than using word (and creating a seperate doc file) it would be good to have it within the client workbook. The letter would rarely exceed two pages of A4.

Currently I create large cells and just type into it, moving to the next cell when I run out of maximum cell size. But this has limitations on formatting.

I have also used a text box.

I was curious if the experts have any other suggestions on doing this?

ta kd

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
How about this? Insert - Object - Microsoft Word Document, then resize to suit your needs, and type your letter right there, in Word, inside of Excel.
/s/ Larry

Upvote 0
indiantrix,
This is a cool idea. I too have written letters in excel (as my personal form of boycotting Word! :devilish: ) I'll have to give this method a shot.
Good call.

Upvote 0
Thanks Larry,

Absolutely perfect!!!!!!

the more you learn the less you know

kd

Upvote 0
Another possibility - create a Text Box on a new worksheet in your client's workbook and write your letter in that. You can apply most of the basic formatting to all or parts of it. Don't know if there is a limit to the number of characters allowed in a text box, though.

Barry

Upvote 0
Kade,

Further to the suggestion to put a Word object inside the Excel worksheet. You can also add a company logo (or any image) to your “letter” to make it look more professional (BTW, in case you haven’t noticed, you have to double click the object to get Word’s tab controls).

1. In Excel, activate the Drawing toolbar (View menu | Toolbars | Drawing).
2. Select a rectangle and drag it inside the Word object – position the rectangle to suit.
3. Right click the rectangle and select “Format AutoShape”.
4. Select the tab “Colors and Lines”
5. In the Fill Color dropdown, select “Fill Effects”
6. Select the tab “Pictures”
7. Click the button “Select Picture”
8. Navigate to the directory that holds the logo/picture of your choice.
9. Click the image then click Insert.
10. OK OK.

The rectangle should now be filled with your image (resize the rectangle to suit). You can return to items 3 and 4 above to remove the border around the rectangle.

To change the border properties and background colour of the letter:

Single click the letter (not the rectangle), then right click
Select Format Object.
Select the tab “Colors and Lines”

Regards,

Mike

Upvote 0
How about this? Insert - Object - Microsoft Word Document, then resize to suit your needs, and type your letter right there, in Word, inside of Excel.
/s/ Larry
Hi Larry this sounds very promising. I’m new to vba. Would you happen to have a source or reference I can look up for this? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christine4711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back