Using EOMONTH inside of a DATE function in a COUNTIFS formula

RudeClown

Board Regular
I am working on creating a formula for a series of cells that will show rolling data in a specific category for the current month plus the previous 12 months. Because of the rolling nature, I need to be able to use “end-of-month” as part of the formula for the ending date of the month for each cell to search (unless there’s a better way?). Here’s what I came up with so far (in the first cell behind Current Month, which would currently be May), but it’s not returning an accurate count. It’s giving me “52,” when it should be giving me “30“. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here?

=COUNTIFS('E-Mail Log'!A:A,">="&DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-1,1),'E-Mail Log'!A:A,"<="&DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-1,EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1)))

Regarding another approach, what if I were to simply use the date “31” as the stopping point for the search instead of trying to figure the EOM? Would this cause any issues in the months that have less than 31 days? I added the formula to test out a couple of these months which returned accurate answers, but are there any unforeseen issues this can cause? The formula works, and looks like this (for one month back):

=COUNTIFS('E-Mail Log'!A:A,">="&DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-1,1),'E-Mail Log'!A:A,"<="&DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-1,31))

Any help or suggestions would be truly appreciated =)

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
The EOMONTH function returns a full date (6/30/2016), not just the day (30). So including it within a DATE function won't work as you have it coded. You could try:

=COUNTIFS('E-Mail Log'!A:A,">="&EOMONTH(TODAY(),-2)+1,'E-Mail Log'!A:A,"<="&EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1))

which will count up everything in May. The
EOMONTH(TODAY(),-2) calculates the end of month date 2 months back (April 30, 2016), then adds 1 to that, getting May 1, 2016. The second EOMONTH returns May 31, 2016. Change the -1 at the end to 0 and it will sum up everything in May and June.

And yes, you could get problems if you use 31 in DATE as the end of a month. If the month has less than 31 days, then Excel will helpfully calculate the next day, or July 1. DATE(2016,2,31) will return May 2, 2016.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That worked perfectly, as was able to adapt the logic to several different calculations. Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0
And yes, you could get problems if you use 31 in DATE as the end of a month. If the month has less than 31 days, then Excel will helpfully calculate the next day, or July 1. DATE(2016,2,31) will return May 2, 2016.
This is why I like to use the First Day of the Next month (and use < instead of <=) when doing a monthly sum/count/average IF..

Instead of
>=1/1/2016 AND <=1/31/2016
I do
>=1/1/2016 AND <2/1/2016

This logic is also very helpful when the dates in the range you're counting also contain time values.

i.e. 1/31/2016 15:30 Is NOT <= 1/31/2016, but it IS < 2/1/2016

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back