Using CELL function result as part of range in an AVERAGE formula

Lanzer

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
To define the last cell in the range of row values for an Average formula, with the last cell/column being variable per user selection, I used Index and Match with the CELL and Address function to return the desired single cell reference.

For example: =CELL("address",INDEX(B11:AK11,MATCH(AM$5,B$5:AK$5,0)))
This correctly returns the matching cell reference within the row, such as $Y$11.

But I found that the cell reference result ($Y$11) would not work as the end-part of the range in the Average formula.

For example: =AVERAGE(B11:CELL("address",INDEX(B11:AK11,MATCH(AM$5,B$5:AK$5,0))))
This returns a "There is a problem with this formula" error message.

To check how it works, I tried the resulting cell reference in a simple arithmetic formula, and that wouldn't work either.

For example: =100 + (CELL("address",INDEX(B11:AK11,MATCH(AM$5,B$5:AK$5,0))))
Which I thought would have been calculated simply as =100 + $Y$11, but still the "There is a problem with this formula" error message.

So, apparently the resulting cell reference result is seen as literal text, and not as a normal cell reference that can be used as part of a range in a formula. Any solution ideas?

Thanks!

(Wanted to upload the worksheet as attachment, but there was no option. Also tried posting a "mini-sheet" using L2BB, but that didn't work. So only an image uploaded.)

Attachments

• Excel Worksheet Image.png
    Excel Worksheet Image.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
How about
Excel Formula:
=AVERAGE(B11:INDEX(B11:AK11,MATCH(AM$5,B$5:AK$5,0)))

Upvote 0
Solution
That worked, hmm. That's surprising because I originally went that way, but the result was returning the matched cell value (percentage value), not the cell column-row reference as needed for the Average range, so I didn't try it in the Average formula.

If you have time to explain -
Why does that work, with the Index&Match returning the cell value (the percentage value), which I didn't think could be used in an Average formula range that needs a cell reference (column-row)?
And why does the CELL formula that does return the cell reference (column-row) not work in the Average range, or even in a simple arithmetic formula?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The Cell function returns text not a cell reference, whereas the Index function is returning the cell reference.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back