Using a Matrix to Determine Distance between Various Geographic Coordinates (Lat/Long)

criticalchain96

Hello, I'm trying to determine the distance between various latitude / longitude coordinates for a given area.

I have used the modified haversine formula, which helps identify the distance assuming that I have found the correct pairing; however, to avoid manually verifying that I have the right pairing (A,B vs. A,Z) via google maps it seems that a more efficient method would be to use a matrix to determine the minimum distance between specific coordinates for a given area. The idea is that the minimum distance will be the distance selected since it will be in the correct sequencing (A,B; C,D) as opposed to A,D.

Is there an automated way to setup a matrix so that I can identify the distance between every Lat/Long coordinate and use the minimum distances found for between each? (making it easier to determine an appropriate avg distance).

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back