User Defined TextBox value with Command button search to return another field values in another textbox

LeslyeE

Hello,

I am trying to create a user friendly Form that preforms three functions:
  1. Allows the user to enter their User ID "txtParentId".
  2. ******* procedure to use the User ID entered to pull the related field data from the table "cmdSearch"
  3. Fill the first column into the first textBox "txtChild1", second column into second textbox "txtChild2" and so on to text box 4 "txtChild4"
  4. allow user to manually enter the time into textbox "txttimein" and then "txttimeout"
  5. fill in the time and date to the day based on the system day/date/time into a secondary table
The tables have a relationship defined "tblParentChildList" Inner Join "tblLoginDays" the join is on the ParentId column set as a primary key.
The column names for the days are Mondayin, Mondayout, TuesdayIn, TuesdayOut etc.. to Friday.
The column names in the "tblParentChildList" are ParentId, Child1, Child2, Child3 & Child4.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I'm going to hazard a guess here, based on what you've revealed, or at least as I've interpreted it. It sounds like you've approached this db with a spreadsheet mentality. Things that are in fields (as you call columns) should be in rows. I have no idea what those child fields represent, but if they are related to ParentId, but are not an attribute of that field, they don't belong in that table either. My advice would be for you to ensure you understand db normalization, or your journey will be fraught with difficulty. There's a huge Google selection of sources to check out - suggest you find something that you like (here's one that may help: http://sbuweb.tcu.edu/bjones/20263/Access/AC101_FundamentalsDB_Design.pdf ). I also recommend a read up on naming conventions - I think you will have difficulty with your approach in this db later on.

Re: your bullet list -
#1 requires that the textbox be unbound. Usually would reside in the form header, with the controls to display query results in the detail section.
#2 is achieved by running a query or sql statement in code that uses what's in the textbox, but once 'pulled in', put it where? Controls of #3 in the detail section?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samwalrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back