Use of If Then Goto in VBA Excel

Daerk

Hi all

I have several macros on the go at the moment for work and I am trying to improve them somewhat.

The macros go into other spreadsheets and extract data from them.

The other spreadsheets all have general name formats based on their purpose/results/date or week of the year.

However, since they are manually saved files from other people, the file names are subject to errors etc. I generally try and account for this with multiple nested if statements to check for the correct file name based on the length function.

Example
Code:
If Len(Dir(ivrPath + FE)) = 0 Then 
    MsgBox "Finance Export Not Found - please make sure the file name is 'Finance Export DD.MM.YYYY.xls"
    Exit Sub
Else
    Workbooks.Open ivrPath + FE, , 1
End If
What I am wondering is if it possible to incorporate the GOTO command into the IF statement, eg set labels on each file open process, and then if the file name returns a zero length the GOTO command can be used to skip all the code associated with that worksheet and instead of exiting, open the next sheet in the list and start working on that...

My questions are...1) is this possible? & 2) I saw some comments that say the use of the GOTO command in programming is not best practice, so is there another way I should do this instead?

Thanks in advance for any help / information.

Regards
Patrick

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi all

I have several macros on the go at the moment for work and I am trying to improve them somewhat.

The macros go into other spreadsheets and extract data from them.

The other spreadsheets all have general name formats based on their purpose/results/date or week of the year.

However, since they are manually saved files from other people, the file names are subject to errors etc. I generally try and account for this with multiple nested if statements to check for the correct file name based on the length function.

Example
Code:
If Len(Dir(ivrPath + FE)) = 0 Then 
    MsgBox "Finance Export Not Found - please make sure the file name is 'Finance Export DD.MM.YYYY.xls"
    Exit Sub
Else
    Workbooks.Open ivrPath + FE, , 1
End If
What I am wondering is if it possible to incorporate the GOTO command into the IF statement, eg set labels on each file open process, and then if the file name returns a zero length the GOTO command can be used to skip all the code associated with that worksheet and instead of exiting, open the next sheet in the list and start working on that...

My questions are...1) is this possible? & 2) I saw some comments that say the use of the GOTO command in programming is not best practice, so is there another way I should do this instead?

Thanks in advance for any help / information.

Regards
Patrick
couldn't resist: (from xkcd)
goto.png

Upvote 0
Im not really sure it would qualify as spaghetti code, since the code is still linear, it simply bypasses sections associated with spreadsheets it cant open (and displays a warning message to the user)...

From the comments I gather that GOTO is a no-no, so any other suggestions on how I can do this?

Upvote 0
Im not really sure it would qualify as spaghetti code, since the code is still linear, it simply bypasses sections associated with spreadsheets it cant open (and displays a warning message to the user)...

From the comments I gather that GOTO is a no-no, so any other suggestions on how I can do this?

why can't you just put all the code you want skipped in the else part of the if statment?

Upvote 0

It's a "Gateway Drug" similar to the grass like substance..
doing it one time is not spaghetti...It's just one Noodle.
Once you say "it's okay to do it once"...
"Well, if it's okay once, then 2 or three is fine"
"if 2 or 3 is fine, why not a dozen...
Then you have several noodles.
Before you know it, you have spaghetti and a full blown addiction to fractures in concrete.

That's why it's best to follow "Best Practices" all the time, even for the quick simple codes.

Upvote 0
It's a "Gateway Drug" similar to the grass like substance..
doing it one time is not spaghetti...It's just one Noodle.
Once you say "it's okay to do it once"...
"Well, if it's okay once, then 2 or three is fine"
"if 2 or 3 is fine, why not a dozen...
Then you have several noodles.
Before you know it, you have spaghetti and a full blown addiction to fractures in concrete.

That's why it's best to follow "Best Practices" all the time, even for the quick simple codes.

plus, if you can figure out how to avoid a goto in an easy bit of code, then you're building the experience to be able to write well-structured code when you have larger coding projects.

Upvote 0
'On Error Goto ErrorHandler' is more than acceptable if you can set up a suitable trap and handler.

Dom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyFlower

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back