Use a combobox selection to update remaining subform fields

stanjadema

Hi there

Please can someone help me - I am about to jump of a high building! I have read so many postings and forums that I am now totally confused! I am trying to create a form on which users will book people to attend events. I have a main form with the persons details and a subform which has a combobox for the event id and then five other fields which are all shown on the combobox dropdown list. I want these fields to be filled in automatically when the user selects one of the events. I am not sure whether this should be on a query, or dlookup function or can just use some code. Please can someone help me! Thanks in anticipation

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Re: Use a combobox selection to update remaining subform fie

Hi stanjadema

Apologies in advance for the long answer but this might take some explaining. The success of your database will depend on how well your database has been designed.

In the absence of info in your question (so please excuse me if I am covering familiar ground), you will need a people table (i.e. a table of people with a unique identifer, names and addresses etc), an event table (i.e. a table of events with a unique identifier, name, date, location and other info you want etc.) and most importantly you will need a People_Event table.

The People_Event table will consist of just two fields, a person id and an event id. This table will allow you to have a many to many relationship between the people and events (i.e. one person can attend multiple events and each event can be attended by multiple people). The primary key for this table is both fields (highlight the person and event identifiers and click the key symbol), this will prevent one person from attending the same event twice.

Once the 3 tables are in place, make sure the relationships are created (Menu -> Tools -> Relationships) - link the people table to the People_Event table on the person id and link the event table to the People_Event table on the event id. Enforce referential integrity & tick cascade update.

For the form to show all of the bits of information, you need to create a new query that consists of all three tables and include every field from all three tables in the query. Your form will be based on this query. The people info (from the people table) will be shown in the main part of the form, and the events and People_Events info will be shown in the subform part of the form.

I created a form with a subform arrangement by using the new form wizard (after clicking new form, I selected the query, clicked Form Wizard, clicked OK and then clicked Finish - without changing any options whatsoever and the first attempt was pretty good from the wizard).

There were however a couple of things I did change : the event_link_id from the People_Event table can use a combo box that looks up the values in the events table (I usually prefer to have combo boxes looking up another query rather than the table directly so that I can sort the info in the combo box to my liking - your choice) and use this to replace the People_Event.event_link_id field on the form; and I also set the "Enabled" property to "No" for every other field in the subform (so the only things the user can do is to select a person on the main form and then choose events from the subform).

Hopefully this will get you going in the right direction. If you have any other queries relating to this, then reply to this post and someone here will be able to help you.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Re: Use a combobox selection to update remaining subform fie

Hi Andrew

Thanks so much for this reply. I appreciate your time with such a good explanation. I have already done a lot of what you suggested, but there is plenty here for me to try. Thank you again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back