Upgding to 2016; will old Personal.xls still work?

zombiemaster

Board Regular
Hi, All...

I am coordinating an upcoming upgrade in our department from Office2007 (skipping over Office2010 completely) to Office2016 for about 220 people. Some of our folks still have the old Personal.xls file in their XLStart folder, left over from Office2003 we had years ago. Everybody else seems to either not have a file there at all (for those who don't use macros) or has the more recent .xlsb version which is what I was expecting to see.

I am having everybody make backups of their macro file so they can re-install it after the upgrade, but my question is this:

For the folks who have that older .xls file format, will there be any conflicts or problems after the upgrade using the macros imbedded in that file since it will be so old? Do they need to convert the file to the newest .xlsb version before they can work with their macros?

Thanks for any insights or help on this - our deployment is in 2 days and this just came to light today!!

~ZM~

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
If you want to save your file completely with the macro, office 2016 can open an Excel workbook in .xls that contain a macro without any problem.

Some of my colleague use office 2007 and save their file in .xls while I use .xlsx with office 2016 and we don't lose any code.

The bigger problem might be that some functionality don't work if you use Excel specific function in your code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back