Updating both sheets in two workbooks from either sheet source

chazrab

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
As stated in title. Further clarification:

1. Any time a change in Sheet1s made and saved, and becomes the source sheet, of Workbook1,
2. the change in Sheet1 will always be reflected in Sheet2 of Worlbook2. (identical sheet structures)
3. Changes are made through a userform in each workbook and saved.
Vice versa for Workbook2, i.e.,
This process must work exactly the same but in reverse when I am working in Userform2 of Workbook2, whose source sheet is now Sheet2 of Workbook2

This is just a simple Userform based Address Book, so changes and additions are being made constantly and from two different Workbooks.
Now, I'm just copying the changes from sheet to sheet. Way to clumsy and inefficient
Tried
Data Connection - couldn't get it to update each destination sheet
Power Query - a possibility?

This can't be that complicated to do.
What's the simplest and best way to do this so no problems occur?

Thanks for anyone's help.

cr

No code I've tested works.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
This can't be that complicated to do.
What's the simplest and best way to do this so no problems occur?

If you have two workbooks that need to share the same data then assuming they are both accessible on your network, one suggestion would be to place the data in a third workbook (database) and have your workbooks read / write their data to it.

Not necessarily the best solution but can work for simple requirements.

Others here may have alternate suggestions.

Hope helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
If you have two workbooks that need to share the same data then assuming they are both accessible on your network, one suggestion would be to place the data in a third workbook (database) and have your workbooks read / write their data to it.

Not necessarily the best solution but can work for simple requirements.

Others here may have alternate suggestions.

Hope helpful

Dave
Thanks Dave, I thought about that but haven't tried it yet. It may be the best way to do this.
Thx again for suggestion.
cr

Upvote 0
Thanks Dave, I thought about that but haven't tried it yet. It may be the best way to do this.
Thx again for suggestion.
cr

Hi
I did a similar thing for my daughter about 20 years ago who worked for a large charity. She had 250 staff posting timesheets each week and was then manually copying the data to a master workbook.
Using a home brew database at the charity was not an allowable option so I created an Add-in that enabled users to post their data directly to the master workbook via Userform. All seemed to work with no issues.

Glad suggestion may be of some use to you.

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi
I did a similar thing for my daughter about 20 years ago who worked for a large charity. She had 250 staff posting timesheets each week and was then manually copying the data to a master workbook.
Using a home brew database at the charity was not an allowable option so I created an Add-in that enabled users to post their data directly to the master workbook via Userform. All seemed to work with no issues.

Glad suggestion may be of some use to you.

Dave
Dave, I'm having trouble getting this to work and I didn't want to let too much time go by before I responded back.
.- that is creating a third workbook and using SHeet1 of that workbook as the sheet data source for two workbooks in different locations, if I understood you correctly. I tried this and got a "subscript out of range error"

One workbook is save to Onedrive and its path is
Code:
https://d.docs.live.net/ac484e1474897305/2024%20.xlsm
The other is saved on my desktop

I may not have a complete grasp of how to do this yet, so I'll keep playing around with it.

THx for all your help.
cr

Upvote 0
One workbook is save to Onedrive and its path is

Sorry I should have been a little clearer - when I stated

assuming they are both accessible on your network

I was thinking either Local Area Network (LAN) or Wide Area Network (WAN) - I retired many years ago & have no understanding of accessing files on Onedrive & the like. I am sure it's perfectly possible but others here may be able to guide you in how to do this.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back