Update VISTA without Internet.

Darren Bartrup

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I bought a Dell computer a while ago, and as yet haven't set up an internet connection (and it's not on the cards for a while either).

Is there a way to get available updates off the internet without using my home computer?

If I try automatic updates then it checks my system, so I can't do it this way.
If I go to a specific update then apparently it will check that my system is running a registered version - it is, but my work computer runs XP so it will probably stop me because the OS isn't the same.

All I want is to download an EXE file, copy it to my computer and then have my computer tell me whether it needs it or not.

That's not too much to ask is it Bill? (That's Gates, not Jelen).

And why does my computer keep asking if I want to check on the internet for answers to my problems? It knows there's no internet connection, so why ask in the first place!!!!

Aaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!

All I want to do is play Neverwinter Nights (which has a Vista label on it anyway)!

:huh:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
What are you looking to get? I have Vista--I could try downloading the files and e-mail them to you if you want. Edit: Or else put them up somewhere where you would be able to download them from your XP machine.

If all else fails, you could wait until the service pack comes out, though that won't be until next year. The SP usually contain all of the little updates that have already been released and I think they still offer a way to get those sent on CD rather than downloading.

Thanks for the reply Kristy.

The problem is I don't know what updates I need - I just know I need some as Vista has problems with some software, which hopefully means I just need newer video/sound drivers, etc.

I don't reckon I need any of the internet/explorer/security type updates as I haven't got an internet connection (which works as a good firewall against malicious software).

Any ideas on how to go about figuring out what I need?

The computer's about 4 months old now, and hasn't been updated since then.

Thanks again for your help.

When you go to Microsoft Update, click the Administrator's Options on the Left. Then select the Windows Update Catalog (option for updating multiple systems).

I think you should then be able to save the updates you want to CD/DVD - but I don't think it will say yes/no you need this one. I would just install the security ones (for sure) then see if you are displaying the problems in any others.

That did the trick.

I've got about 1000 updates to choose from now ... another dilema :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back