Update two tables at the same time

bmacias

Board Regular
Hi all

I have one table with basic employee information. I also have a table in which I have the employee's favorite soccer team. How do I do it so that when I enter an employee name in the basic employee information table a record with this new employee is autimatically added to the soccer table?

Then I would only have to go to the soccer table and put his/her soccer team instead of having to retype the employees name.

You help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hi bmacias,

You need to take advantage of the relational nature of Access tables.

I have one table with basic employee information.
This should be set up something like:
EmpID(autonumber)/EmpName(text)/EmpData(whatever)

I also have a table in which I have the employee's favorite soccer team.
This table should be set up like:
SoccerTeamID(autonumber)/TeamName(text)/EmpID(number)

How do I do it so that when I enter an employee name in the basic employee information table a record with this new employee is autimatically added to the soccer table?

From Tools|Relationships, add these two tables, and drag over the field "EmpID' from the emplyee table to the same field on the team table. Check 'enforce referential integrity' and 'cascade update related records'.

Now you data is normalized and more suited for a database.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Thanks Curticus.

Unfortunately, this solution only works only for data already entered. That is, if I change the employee number that it updates it in the soccer field. But if I enter a brand new empoyee this does not get updated in the soccer table.

Is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

Thanks again.

Ben

Upvote 0
I don't quite follow,

If you add a new employee, autonumber will add an ID for them. No records in the team table will be related until you put them there. With cascading updates, if you change an employees ID in the employee table, any related records in other tables will also be updated to reflect this new employee ID.

Does that help any more?

Upvote 0
Sorry for not explaining myself better.

When the autonumber (the unique identifier) is created in the employee table. Can it be replicated automatically in the soccer table?

Thus eliminating the need to have to type it again.

Again, please pardon my inability to put forth my dilema in a consice clear-cut way.

Ben

Upvote 0
When the autonumber (the unique identifier) is created in the employee table. Can it be replicated automatically in the soccer table?

It shoudln't be. You have to know with what teams in the soccer table to associate with players from the players table.

When you say automatically replicated it screams "Select Query".

If you have data like
PlayerID/Player
1/Joe
2/Fred
3/Bob
4/Gunthar

then your team table would be
TeamID/Team/Player
1/A team/1
1/A team/2
1/A team/3

How would this table know that all three players are on team 1? It couldn't automatically fill them in because you have to decide how they are related.

I think the answer to the question that I haven't figured out yet will be a select query. Why don't you show me what data you have, and what you want the data to look like.

Sorry I'm missing the point here...

-Cort

Upvote 0
The short answer is to add a field to your Employee table in which you can put their favorite soccer team. Is there a reason that you want to have it in a different table? If you are importing the data, you can run an update query that updates the "Favorite Team" field (after you add it to the table, of course).

HTH,

Russell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirofa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back