Update field with calculation based on fields from several records

AndrewRossington

Board Regular
Hello all

I hope the title wasn't too confusing. I wanted to summarise exactly what it is I need, but I find it difficult to put into words.

If I may explain:

I have 3 tables - Products, Orders and Deliveries.

They're set up in a one-to many relationship so that One Product has Many Orders, and each One Order has Many Deliveries (With me so far?)

On the sub-form based on the Deliveries table, I have 2 fields relevant to my question - QuantityReceived and QuantityRemaining.

These fields hold exactly what you'd imagine. What they don't do is automatically update the QuantityRemaining field based on the figure in the QuantityReceived field. (That is, every time you create a new record for detailing another delivery, the current QuantityReceived value should be subtracted from the previous QuantityRemaining value and the result placed in the current QuantityRemaining field.

Is this possible? And if so, how do I go about implementing this? (The database has been in use for a while and, as such, the fields already contain data. Is it possible to implement this for any new records created or would it have to be from scratch?)

For your info:

I use Access 2000
I've searched online but there doesn't appear to be any tutorials for this kind of thing.
I have what I consider very basic VBA know-how.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much for your time.

Thank you for the help with this. Unfortunately this project has been shifted down my priority list at work, so I won't be able to try this any time soon.

I will let you know how this goes in the future.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back