Update cell value if the value in another cell is changed in a date range

Johno1974

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I would like to use Excel formulas to keep a record of when a cell is updated by a user. Let's say the cell the user might update is Cell A1.
I want Excel to do this:
The value in Cell A2 becomes the value in Cell A1 if a user updates the value in Cell A1 in June 2024.
The value in Cell A3 becomes the value in Cell A1 if a user updates the value in Cell A1 in July 2024.
The value in Cell A4 becomes the value in Cell A1 if a user updates the value in Cell A1 in August 2024.
and so on...

Is this possible please?

Thanks in advance.

Johno

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Welcome to the Board!

I don't think you are going to be able to do this with formulas. I think this is going to require VBA.
Are you OK with that?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I don't think you are going to be able to do this with formulas. I think this is going to require VBA.
Are you OK with that?
Hi Joe. Unfortunately I'm not permitted to use VBA in this particular application. Which is frustrating! So I need to use formulas if possible...

Upvote 0
Automation = VBA!

The issue with formulas is that you can either have formulas, or hard-coded values in a cell, but never both at the same time.
So you cannot "lock" your value entries in, without manual intervention.

If you re-design your sheet/methodology, perhaps you might be able to do something, though I think you would need different cells for each entry (instead of entering into cell A1 every time).
You can read this here, which contains a link of how to do Datestamps without using VBA. I have never used that method myself, but perhaps it will give you some ideas.

Upvote 0
Automation = VBA!

The issue with formulas is that you can either have formulas, or hard-coded values in a cell, but never both at the same time.
So you cannot "lock" your value entries in, without manual intervention.

If you re-design your sheet/methodology, perhaps you might be able to do something, though I think you would need different cells for each entry (instead of entering into cell A1 every time).
You can read this here, which contains a link of how to do Datestamps without using VBA. I have never used that method myself, but perhaps it will give you some ideas.
Okay, understood. Many thanks for your support, Joel. Much appreciated. Kind regards, Johno

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back