Unrecognized Format

Teryl

I have a access app. thats been working fine for 2 months. Someone opened the database and selected tools>database utilities>repair database and now whenever you try to open the app. a message box say Unrecognized database format. I've tried restoring it but all attempts lead to the same unrecognized message. Please someone, HELP. This database has very important and expensive information in it. I have to recover at least the information on the tables....thanks

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi!

Sounds like the database got opened in a newer version of Access, was saved(or repaired, repair saves), and you are now trying to open it on an older version.
If you want the current db to work, you will need to find out what ver of Access it was repaired on, and 'save as' back to the version you are using.
If this is not an option, your data should still be safe. Create a new database, and select File|Get External Data|Link Tables. Select the problematic database to link to, and follow the wizard to link your tables. You should now have full access to these tables and their data, but in a functioning db. I believe you will have to recreate your forms and queries, though.

edit:
oops, you have to go tools|database utilities|convert database to save to an older format.
Also, try selecting tools|compact and repair database before you've opened the database, and then select the file.

HTH,
_________________<EMBED width="118" height="52" src="http://corticus.biz.ly/CorticusLink.swf"></EMBED>
This message was edited by Corticus on 2002-12-06 16:42

Upvote 0
I had an error telling me my file was not a database and it instructed me to repair the file. Of course that didn't work. But your advice on making a new file and getting extrenal data worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch, Corticus.

Upvote 0
If the databse has not been split into a frontend/backend configuration, then it is worth thinking about it.
Corruption most often occurs in the frontend which is easy to keep backups of. With a linked backend it is not being opend directly so the chances of anyone doing something that they shouldn't in there should be slim!

Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agata

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back