Unlock car with a cell phone

Brian from Maui

MrExcel MVP
This is not Excel related, but, if you ever lock your keys inside the car and you have those remote keyless whatever you call it, call whoever has your spare and have them click the remote over the phone while placing your phone next to the door.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Tried that before with my Audi and no joy.

In fact, locking your keys in a car with a zapper is hard enough these days and required me to use a spare which kind of defeated the object.

What is odd is that you can usually extend the range of your zapper by holding it against your head. Never heard a good explanation for that one.

Dom

Saw an interesting twist to the "locked keys in the car" the other day. Gentleman had pulled into a gas station and left the car running. He was standing at the drivers door with the old "coat hanger down the glass" trying to break into his car. He said the car is not supposed to lock the doors when the engine is running and the transmission is in park.

The worst part of this was he works for the manufacturer of the car.

Holding the key against your head is a red herring. You simply need to find the best orientation for the 'zapper' to give the ariel the best advantage.

Isn't this just an urban legend (see the Snopes article referenced by ExcelingInTheAirForce)?

I just tried it with my car a Escape 2001 and it works!
Brian,
Are you sure you didn't fall victim to the third to last paragraph in that article that begins:
More than a few people have inadvertantly fooled themselves ... not realizing their cars were still within range of the keyless remote devices...

No, I just tried it again....

Since I have nothing better to do, I'll try having my car at the golf course and the other phone from home....

****! And to think all this time I've been using my cell phone to break the window and
climb right in.
(It's never failed me yet.) :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back