=unique(vstack in a table

L8NightKebab

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm encountering an issue where I use =unique(vstack to consolidate data from other tables onto 1 table. However when I convert that range of data with the vstack function the table gives me a #SPILL error. This is despite there being enough space for the data being imported as I already have the range I just turn it into a table.

Here is the formula for importing the data:
=UNIQUE(VSTACK(
FILTER(SUNDAY!D5:D7, SUNDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(MONDAY!D5:D7, MONDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(TUESDAY!D5:D7, TUESDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(WEDNESDAY!D5:D7, WEDNESDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(THURSDAY!D5:D7, THURSDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(FRIDAY!D5:D7, FRIDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(SATURDAY!D5:D7, SATURDAY!D5:D7 <> "")
))

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    45.7 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
You can't use a spill formula in a table. We either need to get rid of the table or find a different solution.

Upvote 0
One Possibility for keeping the table, assuming your table starts on the first row (that is, the table headers are on the first row):
Excel Formula:
=CHOOSEROWS(UNIQUE(VSTACK(
FILTER(SUNDAY!D5:D7, SUNDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(MONDAY!D5:D7, MONDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(TUESDAY!D5:D7, TUESDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(WEDNESDAY!D5:D7, WEDNESDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(THURSDAY!D5:D7, THURSDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(FRIDAY!D5:D7, FRIDAY!D5:D7 <> ""),
FILTER(SATURDAY!D5:D7, SATURDAY!D5:D7 <> ""))),
ROW([@[Name]])-1)

Upvote 0
You can't use a spill formula in a table. We either need to get rid of the table or find a different solution.
The other tables are across different sheets are in different places as they show different shifts (each shift having tables with each department having its table and the employees being moved around departments on a daily basis), what my original goal is to consolidate the data onto 1 table so even when the employees are across different departments their hourly pay for each day is tallied up in 1 table. I tried using the excel consolidate feature on the data tab but i cant select such a broad range of tables. Any chance you could recommend a a better way to do this?

Attachments

• weekday.PNG
    weekday.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 2
  • consolidation register.PNG
    consolidation register.PNG
    133.1 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
If all the different departments had the exact same structure in their spreadsheets, and they were all in the same folder, you could using Power Query (Get Data) to bring all of them in to one table.

Did you try the formula I mentioned above and find that it wasn't the right formula for you?

Upvote 0
If all the different departments had the exact same structure in their spreadsheets, and they were all in the same folder, you could using Power Query (Get Data) to bring all of them in to one table.

Did you try the formula I mentioned above and find that it wasn't the right formula for you?
Yeah it's not each day has the tables in many different places, I'm working on a spreadsheet designed by someone else. I've never used power query and I thought that you can only use it when having data in tables? the consolidation register has all data dynamically imported and will always be the same can I use power query on that even though I can turn each individual set of data into a table since there is an issue with the formula I'm using?

Upvote 0
So all those initial spreadsheets (the ones that you're importing data from) are set up in a print layout instead of a tabular layout? If so, Power Query probably isn't going to help you. You can use power query with CSVs and other sheets that don't have tables, but in my experience the data does need to be in a tabular format to use it properly. I guess it's easier to stick with the consolidation feature you're using.

You can't use a spill formula within a table, but the formula I posted above is not a spill formula so it can be used in a table.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back