Type Mismatch within UDF

adj87

I have 2 UDFs which are suppose to work in tandem. 1 finds the holidays for a given year (HolidayLookup), then calculates their week number and assigns them specific prorated values for the type of holiday (like for the week of Christmas, your goal is 30% less). This part works great ironically despite being far more complicated.

When I try to tie this into the simple part of then going through each week, and applying this prorated value to a specific calculation our company does to determine weekly goals, I get the mismatch error.

I have built this out as follows:

Code:
Function RunLine(StartNumber As Variant, EndNumber As Variant, CurrentQuarter As Variant, CurrentYear As Variant) As Variant

Dim Wk1 As Variant
Dim Wk52 As Varint

Wk1 = [(EndNumber - StartNumber) / 51 * 0 + StartNumber] * HolidayLookup(CurrentYear, 1)
Wk52 = [(EndNumber - StartNumber) / 51 * 51 + StartNumber] * HolidayLookup(CurrentYear, 52)

Select Case CurrentQuarter
    Case "1"
        RunLine = Wk1 + Wk2 + Wk3 + Wk4 + Wk5 + Wk6 + Wk7 + Wk8 + Wk9 + Wk10 + Wk11 + Wk12 + Wk13
    Case "2"
        RunLine = Wk14 + Wk15 + Wk16 + Wk17 + Wk18 + Wk19 + Wk20 + Wk21 + Wk22 + Wk23 + Wk24 + Wk25 + Wk26
    Case "3"
        RunLine = Wk27 + Wk27 + Wk29 + Wk30 + Wk31 + Wk32 + Wk33 + Wk34 + Wk35 + Wk36 + Wk37 + Wk38 + Wk39
    Case "4"
        RunLine = Wk40 + Wk41 + Wk42 + Wk43 + Wk44 + Wk45 + Wk46 + Wk47 + Wk48 + Wk49 + Wk50 + Wk51 + Wk52
End Select

End Function

I know Variants aren't the best data types to use, but I have tried using what the actual variable calls for (Long/Integer), and the similar problems occur. I have also tried to have 1 giant UDF which combines both these calculations, but after a lot of testing, it became easier to test them separately when I was getting the proper results from the holiday part of the calculation.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated because I am very stuck. This part just seems so simple, but it will not work. Also, if the code for the other UDF is required to help root out the issue, please let me know!

Windows 7 64-bit, Excel 2016, i5-4210U, 4GB RAM

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I'm guessing your wk1 or wk52 errors then gives a type mismatch error in your case statement. Place this line of code above your select case to see if U have values. HTH. Dave
Code:
 Msgbox "wk1  " &  wk1  & "  wk52  " & wk52

Upvote 0
Thanks for following up Dave. This actually lead me to the solution and I can't believe I did this! "[]" define arrays, and I just used them to help visually separate the math. If I replace them with "()", everything works out! I was right, just a random mistake.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrKraGeN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back