Twenty five years of the IBM PC

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
An interesting question.....I suspect some posters have never known life without a PC. Some of us remember the days of manual ledgers and huge pieces of paper that resembled spreadsheets......I don't particularly want to dwell on such things but I do remember spending hours poring over huge spreadsheet-looking pieces of paper trying to work out why the sum of the columns didn't equal the sum of the rows. I wouldn't want to go back there.....

Andrew

You don't look that old to me, Andrew.

I remember doing the same thing, spreading A3 ruled sheets glued together on the board room table and going thru each row and column with my adding machine. Luckily, we had just then graduated to "digital" desktop calculators from the old enter number/pull handle/print adding machines, so it wasn't too bad. For my sins, I had, once, as an articled clerk, had to add up pages of the phone book as I had nothing to do, so I learned to "touch type" on an adding machine.

The first PC I had (actually, the company had) was the IBM pictured in the article. It had 512k or RAM (upgraded from 256k because my boss would only buy the machine if it ran Flight Simulator - go figure). One floppy drive, on 10 mb hard disk, Lotus 123 included, and joy of joys, an epson WIDE CARRIAGE dot matrix printer. Once I discovered Sideways (gone, all are gone, the old familiar faces), there was no stopping my printouts, and no gluing either.

Those were the days....

Riaz

Where would we all be without the little things?
-Domski

We'd all be using Macs. :-D True, it has been 25 years, so my memory is a little fuzzy about who came out first, but I programmed on Apples (and Tandy's and Commodores) before I ever saw an IBM.

I find that the VHS makes a better door stop then the Beta, since it's larger.

We have started using DVD's at my house:-).

Cal

But VHS tapes are lighter and don't hold spring loaded doors open. We use two beta tapes glued together.

DVDs just slide under the doors so not very efficient as doorstops.

Soon we will be able to use VHS machines.

Riaz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinHeads

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back