Turn off Text to Columns

Derek

Has anyone else had this problem:
After using the Text to Columns Function the worksheet continues to split any text that I now copy and paste into a single cell. How does one turn it off so that text copied from a single cell pastes into a single cell?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Derek

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
hi derek!
i also got the same problem with you.all i do is close xcel and run it again. i hate to do that.! :x

Upvote 0
Hi Derek and SIXTH SENSE:

What happens is that EXCEL remembers how DATA|Text_to_columns had been used earler in the same EXCEL session. So to be helpful, next time EXCEL automatically uses the setup that had been earlier used in the session.

So, if this is not what one wants, one can clear the DATA|Text_to_column settings -- by typing any text character in a cell then activating DATA|text_to_columns, then say choose the Delimited option and clear all of the Delimiters setting boxes.

And EXCEL now has a refreshed setting -- thus not requiring to close it and restarting it.

I hope this helps. If I have misunderstood your question -- my apologies!

Upvote 0
Hi Derek and SIXTH SENSE:

What happens is that EXCEL remembers how DATA|Text_to_columns had been used earler in the same EXCEL session. So to be helpful, next time EXCEL automatically uses the setup that had been earlier used in the session.

So, if this is not what one wants, one can clear the DATA|Text_to_column settings -- by typing any text character in a cell then activating DATA|text_to_columns, then say choose the Delimited option and clear all of the Delimiters setting boxes.

And EXCEL now has a refreshed setting -- thus not requiring to close it and restarting it.

I hope this helps. If I have misunderstood your question -- my apologies!

This worked perfectly for me in O365 Excel 2016. Thanks as I have been putting up with this for a long time since it has been an infrequent problem. But I finally got fed up and googled it and once again got my answer from Mr. Internet and Mr. Excel!
Thanks,
Bruce

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serrre

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back