Trying to help someone with Integers

Hero-0952

Wizard Deluxe
[Sorry, that should be *Integers* up there ^]

Here is an example of what I am trying to explain to someone:
10 - (-3) + (-2) - 6 = 5

And of course the answer is 5...but how to explain the process to someone -who is just not understanding the movement across the number line - is beyond me. I am "Epic Fail" in explaining this.

Any pre-Alg instructors that could give me a few tips on getting this across to someone in layman?

Thank you for your time!! Peace!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Re: Trying to help someone with Intergers

use a visual effect... numbers are like a never-ending line (in each direction). each time you take a negative version of a given number - you end up at the opposite side of the pole (pole = 0). so start at 6. negative 6 is the opposite side of the pole (-6). twice negative 6 is like bouncing back and forth, you end up where you started...

4668084450_6c6c1c7c76_b.jpg

Hi,

Using the visual number line...
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKL
3-5-4-3-2-1012345
Sheet1
Excel 2003

1. Positive numbers to the right of 0, negative to the left of 0.
2. In addition move towards right and in subtraction move to the left.
3. Negative numbers follow opposite of positive numbers
3. No sign before a number means "+" (i.e. addition)

Take example 2+(-2) => (2) + (-2)
Since there is no sign before the first 2 we assume it to be "+"
So, go 2 steps from 0 (reaching 2 on the number line). Now since we are adding we need to go to the right. But negative numbers follow opposite of positive numbers, so we move in the opposite direction. Moving 2 steps in the opposite direction (i.e. to the left) we reach back to 0.

So 2+(-2) = 0 (as expected)

Take example 2-(-2) => (2) - (-2)
Since there is no sign before the first 2 we assume it to be "+"
So, go 2 steps from 0 (reaching 2 on the number line). Now since we are subtracting we need to go to the left. But negative numbers follow opposite of positive numbers, so we move in the opposite direction. Moving 2 steps in the opposite direction (i.e. to the right) we reach 4.

So 2-(-2) = 4 (as expected)

Taking your example:
10 - (-3) + (-2) - 6 = 5 => (10) - (-3) + (-2) - (6)

Since there is no sign before 10 & 6 we assume it to be "+"
So, go 10 steps from 0 (reaching 10 on the number line).
Now, since we are subtracting we need to move left. But since negative numbers follow opposite direction to positive numbers we move in the opposite direction (to right). Moving 3 steps to the right we land on 13.
Now addition moves to the right but we move in the opposite direction since we are adding a negative number we move left. Moving 2 steps to the left we land on 11.
Now we subtract 6. Here we move in the normal direction (left) since we are subtracting a positive number. Moving 6 steps left from 11 we land on 5.

Thus 10-(-3)+(-2)-6 = 5 (as expected).

I hope this is not complicated :biggrin:. This was my own way of understanding numbers when I was in school.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I tried to help someone with integers, once. But, there was nothing I could do. It had taken hold of him and he was riddled.

Sadly, he's no longer with us. Still, I got to keep his computer.

I teach math... try getting them to understand the concept of "adding the opposite" to understand integers. Alternatively, combining signs to make +- = - --=+ .
Good luck. There are lots of good resources on line. Just Google Integers!

Thank you all for your assistance. I did end up spending a lot of time with Sandeep's post and we were able to make some great progress using everyone's suggestions.

Again, thank you to everyone - I am sure that I will be back soon. We are passing variables and solving for 'x' already...the fun lies ahead. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back