Trying to doctor a template

nick1408

Board Regular
I hate being new to Access!

Anyway, I have downloaded the Task Management template as it is very close to what I want but I do need to alter it a bit. Anyway, I managed to add some tabs to the Task Detail form and that's where I got stuck.

I am after a few things:

1. A pic chart on the Task Details showing the % Completed from Tasks
  2. Can I colour code cells so if the task is behind schedule (% Completed is less than Elapsed Time) - preferably in the % Completed cell
  3. On Task Details on the Project Run Sheet tab I plan on having 25 steps to complete the task. Ideally, I would like to have these show one at a time and require validation before continuing. I was thinking a list with checkboxes would be suitable but since I am asking the hard questions I may as well through this in as well
  4. On the Overview tab will be my milestones. These are linked to the Project Run Sheet. How can I link say Task 5 to Milestone 1 for example.
  5. Once all of this is done I plan on showing both the current milestone and next task due on the Tasks form (in the last two columns). As I haven't looked at this yet how do I go about linking them to the right columns?

I'm pretty sure that would be ideal for me. I've attached the database in case anyone wants a look - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtcbq3uljggnl54/Task Db.accdb?dl=0

Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I chose to respond in block caps so that I could keep an answer with the question but make it stand out. Hope that's OK.
I am after a few things:
A pic chart on the Task Details showing the % Completed from Tasks. YOU CAN USE AN IMAGE FRAME, BUT IT WOULD BE MORE WORK THAN PAYBACK IMHO. CONSIDER LAYING A TEXTBOX (NO BORDER, BLUE) OVER ANOTHER WHOSE LENGTH IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR FORM AND REPRESENTS 100%. YOU ALTER THE WIDTH OF THE BLUE ONE ACCORDING TO THE % VALUE

1. Can I colour code cells so if the task is behind schedule (% Completed is less than Elapsed Time) - preferably in the % Completed cell ACCESS DOESN'T HAVE CELLS. YOU WANT TO CONDITIONALLY FORMAT THE CONTROL ACCORDING TO YOUR % VALUES.
  2. On Task Details on the Project Run Sheet tab I plan on having 25 steps to complete the task. Ideally, I would like to have these show one at a time and require validation before continuing. I was thinking a list with checkboxes would be suitable but since I am asking the hard questions I may as well through this in as well. THESE ARE FORMS? I DON'T SEE THEM. THEY ARE TABBED FORMS, BUT NOT TABS, IMO. BASED ON LIMITED INFO, I DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE THE REST OF THE STEPS AT THE SAME TIME.
  3. On the Overview tab will be my milestones. These are linked to the Project Run Sheet. How can I link say Task 5 to Milestone 1 for example. AS MENTIONED, DON'T SEE OVERVIEW FORM.
  4. Once all of this is done I plan on showing both the current milestone and next task due on the Tasks form (in the last two columns). As I haven't looked at this yet how do I go about linking them to the right columns?AS MENTIONED, NOT RESTRICTING THE VIEW TO ONLY THE NEXT TASK WOULD HELP HERE. TABLE NORMALIZATION IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE, THEN BEING ABLE TO GATHER THE DETAILS VIA QUERIES COMES AFTER. IF YOU CAN BUILD A QUERY TO ASSEMBLE INFORMATION YOU NEED, YOU CAN SHOW IT ON A FORM.

I'm pretty sure that would be ideal for me. I've attached the database in case anyone wants a look - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtcbq3uljggnl54/Task Db.accdb?dl=0

Thanks for the help!

Don't take this as condescending criticism, rather it is meant to help. I suspect you have not researched much into how to create a good db as you not only have spaces in all your object names, some of them even have the same name. Also, your form controls are named the same as your fields (Access does this when you use a wizard, but it's not good). Not only is "% Complete" a bad name for a field, it is a calculation and should not be stored in a table. I suggest you back up and increase your knowledge on db design before you do things now that you'll regret later (you already have, IMHO). If you want me to post some links or suggestions on what to look for, let me know.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You've incorporated a feature in your Task table that now prevents me from helping you due my older version (maybe Multivalue field?). Who knows, it could be one of your issues. Serious designers will tell you to avoid those like the plague.
Sorry.

Upvote 0
You've incorporated a feature in your Task table that now prevents me from helping you due my older version (maybe Multivalue field?). Who knows, it could be one of your issues. Serious designers will tell you to avoid those like the plague.
Sorry.

I guess that's the issue with using one of the MS Access templates available from within the program itself. I've been using this with Access 2013 so far.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back