Trouble with Input Mask When Doing Search Queries

trusting

Hi,

I'm working on a database created by someone else so I'm not sure how it was originally created or various changes it may have been through.

My problem is an SSN field. It is masked for SSN (000-00-000) and it is set to store the data without the symbols.

However, when I try to run a query, I have to enter the dashes in order to get results. I've exported it to Excel and the dashes are there, so I believe the dashes have actually been stored in the database.

My goal is to have all queries and forms display the SSN with the dashes, but to be able to ENTER the SSN in a search query WITHOUT dashes.

I can run a query to remove the dashes, but I want to make sure that it will still display with dashes when displayed in a query result or when auto-filled in a form.

I'm not experienced with input masks and wondered if someone could let me know if this will work as hoped for, if I need to follow a specific procedure, or if there's a good tutorial (YouTube?) that would explain the process.

Thanks for any help!

Teresa

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
have a look at the phone or date input masks, I think it would look like ###-###-### for three number groups

Upvote 0
As suggested, you can use an input mask for the query, but not if you are using a parameter query. You'd have to use a form textbox to provide the criteria. Input mask is a data option on the textbox property sheet for dates or text only. You will find the SSN mask there. Sounds like your table field is text but a format has been applied to the table field to hide the dashes.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies.

The problem was been solved. Since the table field had already been formatted to include dashes and we wanted to be able to query without entering dashes, a "Like" query solves the problem in that we can enter the SSN with or without dashes. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sledparty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back